Support Our Players

REDSMOKE

With all that is going on right now it seems as if the players are not getting their fair shake. I believe it all comes down to the young men on the field being taught technique and fundamentals. We know how they are being coached and we all watch the schemes on defense and the plays on offense. I would be willing to say that you could take professional players from the NFL and put them in our current system and we would have the same lackluster results.

I say we show our upmost support for the players to let them know we fully respect them and all they do for the University and how important they are in our lives. Without them we wouldn't have this board and without them we wouldn't have much to drink to on Saturdays.

Support the players :woo

With all that is going on right now it seems as if the players are not getting their fair shake. I believe it all comes down to the young men on the field being taught technique and fundamentals. We know how they are being coached and we all watch the schemes on defense and the plays on offense. I would be willing to say that you could take professional players from the NFL and put them in our current system and we would have the same lackluster results.

I say we show our upmost support for the players to let them know we fully respect them and all they do for the University and how important they are in our lives. Without them we wouldn't have this board and without them we wouldn't have much to drink to on Saturdays.

:bonez:yeah:wasted:restore:nanalama:cheers

:bonez:yeah:wasted:restore:nanalama:cheers

Anyone that doesn't think the players read this stuff are fooling themselves. We could have Bear Bryant and TO as coach and without good athletes we would all be hosed. We have the players and the talent, let's get some..... :woo

Look! Corey McKeon joined HB! :clap

I sort of agree but not entirely. The problem isn't the players. The problem isn't the schemes. The problem is the personnel and the schemes don't match.

One week after we got torched on defense using a 3 man front, there was Oklahoma shutting down the same Missouri Offense using the same 3 man front defensive scheme 75% of the time. The difference was they identified the 3 primary targets that account for the majority of MU's yardage this year and matched personnel to neutralize the tight ends, cheated the outside linebackers up to the line of scrimmage to randomly blitz Daniels and throw off his timing (effectively a 5 man front with 2 standing 2-3 yards back), and shut down Daniels ability to scramble.

We used a 3 man front and blitzed safeties from 10 yards back while using our LB to cover the TEs without jamming them up at the line. Then if the coverage was good, Daniels could run through where the outside LBs vacated for big gains. I would have lined Octavian opposite of Rucker and had him hit Rucker at the line of scrimmage then go to the QB. Rucker would have been off time and forced into the decision block the rush or get open really quick. Put McKewon on the other side and do the same, randomly blitzing and using a larger free safety to pickup the tight end running free. Leaving the Middle LB to cover the run/spy Daniels.

Cosgrove has the right schemes but would make a better NFL DC where the players are more equal and schemes matter more. This staff doesn't properly understand that college football is as much about mismatches as it is about scheme. They need to move people around within the scheme and change players game to game to get the best mismatches.