Cook

Cook supported Pederson!

http://www.ketv.com/sports/14351341/detail.html

Cook: Former AD Mentored Me

Volleyball Coach Says He's Concentrating On Steve Pederson's Positives

Shiloh Woolman, Staff Writer

POSTED: 11:18 am CDT October 16, 2007

UPDATED: 3:03 pm CDT October 16, 2007

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska volleyball coach John Cook said on Tuesday he had a great experience working with former University of Nebraska-Lincoln Athletic Director Steve Pederson.

Pederson was fired on Monday by UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman.

In a news conference on Tuesday, Cook said he worked closely with Pederson.

"I reported directly to Steve and he did a great job mentoring me and providing support, whatever we needed. I think part of our success last year was Steve having a great vision for Nebraska volleyball," Cook said. "I'm still trying to sort it out. I will think of all the great things Steve did for Nebraska athletics and focus on that right now. I have nothing but positives on how our program was managed."

Cook said he wants to guide his players though this turbulent time in the athletic department.

"Steve was close with our team. He knew all those players. There will be some confusing, probably, on their part, but that's my job as coach is to brief them and keep them focused," Cook said. "I've got to figure out, what are the life lessons in this? I'll answer questions if they have questions."

Cook was asked whether he wants former football coach Tom Osborne to lead the department, but he said he isn't in a position to comment.

"I've always tried to maintain a relationship with Coach Osborne. He understands Nebraska," Cook said. "I'm a volleyball coach. I'm trying to get (players) Kori Cooper to close a block right now, so I've got my hands full with that."

Yeah, Pud did a great job with the VB team. My sister played quite a few years ago and she's still pretty in-touch with what's going on with the team. She was appalled that Pud got fired.....though she emailed me yesterday saying she had to admit she was happy to see Dr. Tom back on campus.

And....yeah, he's right. Cooper needs to close the block. Also - just on the outside chance that either of you middles are reading this. WATCH YOUR HITTERS!! I've been watching you and you're out of position. I keep seeing middles running 31s etc and you're in limbo between the setter and the middle on the other side. Know when the setter is back row and camp on the hitter. If the setter is front, your outside hitter has the responsibility of blocking the setter.