Go Big Red Thanksgiving Recipes

Roxy

I will post recipes that you may want to share with whoever is cooking your Thanksgiving feast. I will just do a few each day..depends on how busy I am so please bear with me:) I hope you all enjoy them:) The corn bread dressing that is listed below is very good. I order my pies at Thanksgiving time:) because I am always so busy making other stuff...however..I have made these pies and they are VERY GOOD:)

Savory Cornbread Dressing With Sausage:

1 lb. fresh sliced mushrooms-about 4 cups

1 cup chopped celery

3/4 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup butter or margarine

4 teaspoons Wyler's or Steero Chicken Flavor Bouillon Cubes

1-2/3 cup boiling water

1 lb. bulk sausage-I use Farmer John's Hot Sausage-browned and drained

1-16 oz. pkg. cornbread stuffing mix

1-1/2 tsp.s poultry seasoning

In a large skillet, cook mushrooms, celery and onion in margarine until tender. In a large bowl, dissolve bouillon in water -according to directions on the bottle. Add sausage, mushroom mixture and remaining ingredients; mix well. Loosely stuff turkey-just before roasting. Place remaining stuffing in a greased baking dish and bake it at 350 for 30 minutes or until hot.

Easy Apple Pie:

Preheat oven to 350.

1 single pie crust-I just buy it at the store

Sprinkle bottom of pie crust with brown sugar

Peel and slice 6 or 7 apples

Put slices of apples in a big bowl and add 3/4 cup sugar, sprinkle cinnamon over apples...I don't measure- just sprinkle enough for your preference. Mix 1/4 cup flour and 2 tablespoons melted butter.Spread this mixture over the apples.

Crumb Topping:

1 cup flour

1 cup Quaker Oats Oatmeal

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 cup margarine

Combine all the crumb topping ingredients together. Don't melt the butter..just slice the butter in pieces and mix it with the rest of the ingredients. Spread this mixture over the pie.

Make sure that you put a cookie sheet under the pie pan. Bake the pie in the preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Test to see if the apples are done by poking a sliced apple with a fork to see if it is tender. If they apples aren't done...bake 15 minutes longer. If the crust of the pie is getting too brown, put aluminum foil over the edge of the pie crust.

Key Lime Pie:

1-9 inch graham cracker pie crust

3 egg yolks

1 can sweetened condensed milk

2 teaspoons grated lime zest

1/2 cup key lime juice, fresh or bottled

Combine the egg yolks and milk in a mixing bowl, and beat with the mixer at high speed until light and fluffy. This should take about 5 minutes.

Then, gradually beat in lime juice and 2 teaspoons of freshly gated lime zes. Zest is nothing more then the fine outer layer of the citrus peal.

Once the mixture is finely combined, set it aside for a few moments as you prepare your ready-made pie crust.

Simply remove the inverted plastic cover, but, don't throw it away. This actually flips upside down to become a handy lid for your completed dessert.

Next, pour the creamy filling into your pie crust and place in a 360 degree preheated oven for 12 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven when it has lost its liquid appearance, but, still doesn't reveal a change in color.

Chill in refrigerator. I recommend to refrigerate it overnight to ensure that is fully set. Top with whipped cream.

MASHED POTATOES HINT:

I always use whipping cream instead of milk when making mashed potatoes for a special occasion. It is so much better than using milk. You can find it by the milk in the grocery store.

Easy Coconut Pie:

2 cups cold milk

2 (4-serving-size) pkgs. vanilla-flavor instant pudding and pie filling mix

1 cup sweetened-flaked coconut, divided

2 cups thawed non-dairy whipped topping, divided

1-(6 oz.) graham-cracker pie crust

1. Pour milk into a large bowl. Add dry pudding mixes and 3/5 cup coconut. Beat with a wire whisk for 2 minutes. Gently stir in 1 cup whipped topping. Pour into crust.

2. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set.

3. Meanwhile, preaheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread remaining 1/4 cup coconut in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Set aside.

5. Spread pie with remaining 1 cup whipped topping. Sprinkle toasted coconut over pie. Refrigerate.

Key Lime Pie:

Preheat oven to 350.

1-9 inch graham cracker crust

1-14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk

4 egg yolks

1/2 cup key lime juice

Whipped topping for garnish

Key lime slices

Place condensed milk, egg yolks and lime juice in a bowl and whisk together until mixture begins to thicken. Pour into pie crust and bake for 15 minutes at 350. Cool in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. Top with whipped cream and lime slices.

Cherry Crisp Pie:

1/4 cup butter

3/4 cup quick-cooking oats or old-fashioned oats-I use Old Fashioned Quaker Oats

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup chopped pecans-I didn't measure-used a small bag

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1-21 oz. can cherry pie filling

1-9 inch prepared graham cracker crust

Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in oats, flour, brown sguar, pecans, and cinnamon. Spoon pie filing into crust. Sprinkle oat mixture over top. Place pie on a baking sheet.

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. I baked it for 40 minutes. Bake it till the topping is golden brown. Cool pie on a wire rack. I baked it on a cookie sheet and just let it cool on it. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. We like to put dream whip on top of it that you squirt from a can.

Butterscotch Dessert-THIS IS VERY GOOD

Melt 1 stick of butter. Add 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup chopped pecans. Press this mixture into the bottom of a 9x13" pan and bake at 325 for 10 minutes. Cool crust. Whip together:

1-8 oz. pkg. cream cheese

1 cup powdered sugar

1 cup Cool Whip

Smear this carefully over crust; cool in refrigerator. HINT: Drop the cream cheese mixture all over the crust in teaspoons, then spread it gently or else the crust will end up being a crumbly mess. Cook 2 small packages of butterscotch or chocolate pudding..your choice..with 3 cups milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour this over the cream cheese layer. Cool and top with Cool Whip.

Swiss Vegetable Medley:

1 bag frozen broccoli, carrots and cauliflower, thawed and drained

1-10-3/4 can condensed cream of mushroom soup

1 cup shredded Swiss cheese

1/4 tsp. pepper

1-4-oz. jar chopped pimento

1-2-8 oz. can French-fried onions

Combine vegetables, soup, 1/2 cup cheese, pepper, pimento and 1/2 can of onions. Pour into a 1-quart casserole. Bake, covered, at 350 for 30 minutes. Top with remaining heese and onions. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer. This makes 6 servings. I double everything for 12 servings.

Appetizer-This is wonderful

Shrimp Bacon Bites:

1 cup cleaned cooked shrimp-about 18- like to use fresh shrimp..can buy them at Albertson's...we bought 2 lbs. of fresh shrimp at Albertson's

3 bunches garlic; slivered

2 glass jars homemade chili sauce that you can buy at Albertson's

2 packages bacon

Frozen bacon is alot easier to cut and it doesn't take long for it to thaw out.

Mix shrimp and garlic; pour chili sauce over mixture. Cover and refrigerate, stirring occasionally; several hours. I needed it sooner so I refrigerated it for 2 hours or so.

***You can also buy a package of shrimp seasoning in the fresh meat dept. at Albertson's and I sprinkled that over the shrimp, then mixed in the garlic and chili sauce..then refrigerated it..etc.

Cut bacon slices into halves. Cook bacon until limp; drain. Wrap each shrimp in bacon piece; secure with wooden pick. I had some left over so I just put the rest on top of the shrimp.

Set oven control to broil and/or 550. Broil with tops 2 to 3 inches from heat until bacon is crisp.

**I fried the bacon, but, not completely and drained the grease..also patted the bacon with a paper towel. After I wrapped the shrimp in the bacon, I baked it in the oven at 550 for less than 10 minutes....just keep an eye on it.

Green Bean Casserole:

Ingredients:

1 can (10-3/4 oz.) Campbells Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup

1/2 cup milk

1 tsp. soy sauce

Dash ground black pepper

4 cups cooked cut green beans

1-1/3 cups French's French Fried Onions

Directions:

Mix soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper, beans and 2/3 cup onions in a 1-1/2 qt.casserole dish.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until hot.

Site: Sprinkle with remaining onions. Bake 5 minutes.

TIP: Use 1 bag (16 to 20 oz.) frozen green beans, 2 pkg. (9 oz. each) frozen green beans, 2 cans (about 16 oz. each) green beans or about 1 1/2 lb. fresh green beans for this recipe.

For a change of pace, substitute 4 cups cooked broccoli flowerets for the green beans.

For a creative twist, stir in 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese with soup. Omit soy sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup additional Cheddar cheese when adding the remaining onions.

For a festive touch, stir in 1/4 cup chopped red pepper with soup.

For a heartier mushroom flavor, substitute Campbell's® Condensed Golden Mushroom Soup for Cream of Mushroom Soup. Omit soy sauce. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped red pepper with green beans.

This is a nice desser that you can make the night before:

Strawberry Frozen Dessert:

8-oz cream cheese, softened

1 cup sugar

8-12 oz. Cool Whip topping

10-oz. frozen strawberries, partially thawed

2 or 3 bananas, sliced

Combine cream cheese and sugar. Mix well. Fold in remaining ingredients. Spread in a 9x13-inch pan. Freeze overnight.

Shrimp Bacon Bites:

1 cup cleaned cooked shrimp-about 18- like to use fresh shrimp..can buy them at Albertson's...we bought 2 lbs. of fresh shrimp at Albertson's

3 bunches garlic; slivered

2 glass jars homemade chili sauce that you can buy at Albertson's

2 packages bacon

Frozen bacon is alot easier to cut and it doesn't take long for it to thaw out.

Mix shrimp and garlic; pour chili sauce over mixture. Cover and refrigerate, stirring occasionally; several hours. I needed it sooner so I refrigerated it for 2 hours or so.

***You can also buy a package of shrimp seasoning in the fresh meat dept. at Albertson's and I sprinkled that over the shrimp, then mixed in the garlic and chili sauce..then refrigerated it..etc.

Cut bacon slices into halves. Cook bacon until limp; drain. Wrap each shrimp in bacon piece; secure with wooden pick. I had some left over so I just put the rest on top of the shrimp.

Set oven control to broil and/or 550. Broil with tops 2 to 3 inches from heat until bacon is crisp.

**I fried the bacon, but, not completely and drained the grease..also patted the bacon with a paper towel. After I wrapped the shrimp in the bacon, I baked it in the oven at 550 for less than 10 minutes....just keep an eye on it.

You've just combined two of my favorite things right there. :)