Spurrier resigns

WASHINGTON -- The Redskins announced this afternoon that Steve Spurrier has resigned as coach after two losing seasons.

Or did he?

Shortly after the announcement, in a cellphone conversation, Spurrier told The Washington Post that he did not quit.

"I have not resigned. I've got a representative looking into some issues but I have not resigned," Spurrier told The Post. "If they say that I have, that is not true. I'm not sure it is heading in that direction right now. We are seeing where it goes but I have not resigned."

Spurrier called Redskins owner Dan Snyder on Tuesday morning and offered his resignation, according to team spokesman Karl Swanson.

"It was totally unexpected," Swanson said, and Snyder accepted it with "much regret."

Spurrier's replacement would be the fifth head coach since Snyder bought the team in 1999.

If he resigns without some sort of exit deal, Spurrier, who had three years remaining on his contract at a total of $15 million, will get none of that money. However, it was reported earlier today that the Redskins will cover the former coach's moving expenses, if he resigns.

And, if he resigns without an agreement, Spurrier cannot coach in the league for the next three years unless a future NFL employer is willing to give the Redskins compensation, in the form of draft picks, cash, or both.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1696792

Is Spurrier destined to reign as king of the Corn?

The Spurrier-to-Nebraska rumor won't go away, and the concept may not be as far-fetched as it sounds.

By Brian Christopherson staff writer

December 31, 2003

At 12:24 p.m. Tuesday, in the rumor-filled setting of college football message boards, anonymous poster "Husker from Denver" posed the question to his fellow Nebraska fans: "Vote Now... Who do you want as HC? Spurrier or (interim coach) Bo (Pelini)?"

Don't cough up your lobster meat now, Floridians. The Cornhead was serious.

Advertisement

For at this moment, Nebraska — a program with the third most wins in college football history — is without a head coach.

And as of Tuesday morning, a love-him-or-loathe him football coach named Steve Spurrier was without job.

Spurrier-to-Nebraska became the rumor in the Cornhusker State. In the name of John Deere, a square peg can't fit into a round hole, can it?

After all: Nebraska runs. Spurrier passes. Nebraska's cold. Spurrier golfs. Nebraskans wear hats. Spurrier throws visors.

Here's why it's not so ludicrous.

Nebraska athletic director Steve Pedersen fired head coach Frank Solich more than a month ago after the team's 9-3 regular-season record. Since the firing, not one candidate has been publicly announced.

Two questions to factor here: Why would a high-profile football school such as Nebraska not make public any candidates? And why would Nebraska not have announced a coach quickly after firing Solich to save this year's recruiting class?

There's two plausible answers to this. Either Pedersen (who helped re-establish Pittsburgh football and basketball by hiring Walt Harris and Ben Howland while he was Panthers' AD) is in over his head, or he's been negotiating behind the scenes with a coach still in the midst of an NFL season.

Also, to save Nebraska's recruiting class, Pedersen must announce a coach that makes everybody in the press room's mouth drop and say, "Wow."

What guy could do that? Spurrier.

Also:

•Nebraska fans are anxious to see someone come in who can recruit more speed and open up the offense and not depend solely on option football anymore.

•Spurrier's former defensive coordinator at Florida, Bob Stoops, is tearing up the Big 12 at Oklahoma. He'd get to go head-to-head with his old chum.

•The ol' ball coach can restore a bruised ego left from a bad run at Washington. He can win at Nebraska. Both he and the school still have a name when it comes to college football.

•Spurrier resigned a day after Nebraska's season finished with a 17-3 win in the Alamo Bowl over Michigan State.

•It's said Pedersen, who used to work as a recruiting coordinator at Tenneesee in the early 90s, knows Spurrier.

•And the best reason: Nebraskans would worship any coach that won their university football games. Mr. Superior might like that even if his hair does freeze in November.

It is going to be very tough to swallow for MANY if he comes to Lincoln.

I think he is going to take at least a year off before trying to get back into coaching.

The thing is, he could probably coach wherever he wants. I just don't see him mixing

here.