Go Big Red Recipe For December 18th

Roxy

Breakfast Strudel:

Add more or less ingredients to this recipe..make it how you like it. Add sausage, mushrooms, etc. for example.

1 box puff pastry sheets

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 cup hash browns, frozen

1 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced

1/2 cup onion, diced

1 cup smoked ham, diced

12 large eggs, divided use

2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced

4 ounces cream cheese, softened

2 tablespoons orange juice

1 tablespoon water

2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded (I like more)

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add potatoes and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in bell pepper and onion. Sauté 3 minutes more, then add ham.

Whisk 11 eggs and chives together. Add them to the pan and scramble just until set. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Off heat stir in cream cheese and juice until blended. Refrigerate eggs while working with the pastry.

Unfold pasty sheet on a work surface that's been lightly dusted with flour. Roll pastry lengthwise to 12 x 10, then transfer to a piece of parchment on a baking sheet. Trim pastry; fill with half the egg mixture and braid. Repeat with second pastry sheet.

To braid, after spooning egg mixture down the center of the pastry, make a series of diagonal cuts on both sides. Alternately fold strips over each other to form a braid.

Combine the remaining 1 egg with water and brush over top of strudels. Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake 20 to 30 minutes or until golden. Let cool 5 minutes before slicing.

*This recipe is very versatile; in place of the hash browns, ham and red pepper, I've used feta cheese and spinach for a yummy strudel.

*I like to let the 2nd one set in the fridge and then freeze for later. Also, while cooling, I like to set the baked strudel on a drying rack so the bottom doesn't get soggy.

*One strudel will feed at least 4 adults