Nutt would bring some key recruits

of course the inverse is true also, but if Nutt came so would some of his recruits, and probalby his brother Danny Nutt, RB coach...

interesting read from rivals.com

4 states, 4 recruits; Nutt and Nebraska

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trey Biddy

HawgSports.com Publisher

Nebraska has offered Arkansas Head Coach Houston Nutt the head coaching position in Lincoln, and there may be too much money involved for Nutt to turn it down. No doubt, this situation will shake-up recruiting for both schools if Nutt leaves Fayetteville.

Being New Years, many of the prospects were out on the town. Some were on dates, but a few of the parents and prospects were in to talk about the situation. The situation is that Nebraska made a bigtime offer to Nutt – likely near 1.7 million.

Peyton Hillis

Conway product, and Arkansas commit, Peyton Hillis, 6-foot-2, 245 pounds, is the top player in Arkansas this year. Rivals.com’s No. 2 fullback prospect was out last night, but his father Doug Hillis was in.

Rivals.com

Doug said he and Peyton spoke with running backs coach Danny Nutt. He informed him of the situation promptly.

“In fact the coaches have called us to fill us in,” the elder Hillis said, “[Danny Nutt] was actinig like him and Houston are wanting to stay at Arkansas. It comes down to money.”

Peyton has committed to the Razorbacks, and it is up in the air as to what may happen if Nutt bolts for Nebraska.

“I have no idea,” Doug said. “Him and Danny are real close.” He said that he heard “through the grapevine” that the Nebraska Athletic Director Steve Pederson wanted “Houston, Danny and Peyton.”

Doug said he thought Arkansas may be able to come up with enough money to keep Nutt in Arkansas, but he did not feel that would be the case if Nebraska came in with 2 million.

“From what I see, I think Houston and (Arkansas Athletic Director) Frank (Broyles) are pretty big buds. I think Frank’s gonna come through with some pretty big money,” Doug said.

The reason Peyton backed off Oklahoma is because they did not run the ball enough. Peyton wants carries in college, and OU has plenty of talented tailbacks for a limited number of carries.

If Nutt does take the Nebraska offer, Doug believes his son will stay instate if he feels the new coach is a good fit.

“The way Danny talked to us, they want to stay at Arkansas,” Doug said. He also said he appreciated the “classy” move by the Arkansas staff to inform him of the news timely.

Zach Snider

Another Arkansas commit, Tulsa (Okla.) linebacker Zach Snider, 6-foot-3, 220 pounds, was also out, but his dad Gary Snider had plenty to say. Contacted early, Snider had yet to hear of the news from Arkansas coaches, and the entire situation was new to him.

In most situations involving orally committed players and coaching changes, recruits take a step back, are labeled ‘soft commits’ and then find their way back to a firm commitment – in most cases.

“[Houston Nutt] is the reason we wanted to go there,” Gary said. “What would you think as a parent?”

It is unlikely, however, that Snider would follow Nutt to Lincoln. Distance is a factor.

“It’s 300 miles farther. I would like to drive 100 miles instead of 300,” Doug said. “We don’t want Houston to leave.”

Doug’s father, Lee Snider, was the offensive coordinator under Jim Stanley at Oklahoma State when Nutt transferred to play for the Cowboys. Lee recruited Nutt to OSU in 1978 before Jimmy Johnson took over.

Doug said they would likely wait around and see who Arkansas hires. If it is a coach they like, Snider would probably stay on. The situation with defensive coordinator Dave Wommack is important to the Sniders as well. Zach has a good relationship with Wommack.

Frank Morton

Some prospects, like Decatur (Ga.) Southwest Dekalb defensive tackle Frank Morton, were in last night. Morton has not committed to Arkansas, but the Hogs are in his top three.

Rivals.com

Morton, 6-foot-3, 285 pounds, is considering Ohio State and Tulane, in addition to Arkansas. Auburn and Georgia Tech, two schools he was considering, are out of the picture.

“I didn’t want to go to the engineering part,” Morton said. “I want to go with physical therapy.”

Morton said Nutt is a big reason for his interest in Arkansas, and it would hurt Arkansas’ chances if he left, but he said there are many factors to consider.

“Coach (Tracy)Rocker, he’s a real good man. He’s been in the shoes I’m trying to get in,” Morton said. “I would really like to go to Arkansas with couach Nutt being the head coach, though. “

If Morton does not like the situation at Arkansas, and it is clear in Morton’s eyes the situation will take a hit if Nutt does leave, he will choose between Ohio State and Tulane. Nebraska is not an option in his mind.

“I don’t want to go to Nebraska,” he said. “That’s not one of my top three right now.”

Morton will still consider Arkansas, but its stance will not be close to what it is now. Morton said, “I would still consider Arkansas, but it won’t be like it would if he were there.”

Bobby McCoy

Another uncommitted prospect, Klein (Texas) Forest wideout Bobby McCoy, said he would also reconsider his stance if Nutt beomes coach of the Huskers.

Rivals.com

“That would affect my decision,” McCoy said. “I’d have to to talk to the new coaches and see how they run their program.”

McCoy, 6-foot-1, 170 pounds, has official visits set to Arkansas(1/16), Arizona(1/9), Texas A&M (1/23) and Notre Dame (1/30), and those are the only schools he is considering. However, he may take a look at Nebraska if Nutt is on board.

“I would look at it,” McCoy said. “I don’t know. I’d consider it. Yeah, I’d consider it.”

McCoy is being recruited to Arkansas by receivers coach James Shibest. McCoy has a good relationship with him, and he likes the fact that his position coach is recruiting him. He also has a good relationship with Nutt.

“I like the coach; the coach that’s recruiting me. He is the receivers coach,” McCoy said. “I have a relationship with the head coach too.”

In Arkansas’ corner is the track and field program. McCoy plans on running track at Arkansas, and that is one of the reasons he is interested in the Razorbacks.

“I’m going to run track and play football,” he said. “I’d still consider Arkansas because of the track program.”

Nutt to Nebraska? Fans could know early Friday. Nebraska administrators want to name a coach by Sunday, but Nutt may have a decision by tomorrow. Several with ties to Arkansas are urging Nutt to take time to consider it, but it is all going to come down to money. Factors ranging from Nutts home state to the prestige of the NU program are all a factor, but the UofA will have to come forth with well over one million dollars.

Guest WyomingHusker

Bo and Turner Gill make a good team. Epitimize Nebraska football. Bo just seems to fit, under him the team played Nebraska football in San Anonio. Smash mouth and in your face physical ball. Only thing was the whole season NU was a first half instead of like latter years a second half team. He is a good speaker, I think Bo and Turner can recruit, Bo has some morals like Frank and Tom, as well as Turner. I would rather see Turner get the nod but I doubt SP will or would ever promote him. Bo just fits in and did a good job. He did get the defense rolling this year to. Hell I like the guy! Nothin flashy just head down, three yards and cloud of dust football.

Turner is another story, he has been with the program a long time, has strong religious beliefs as well strong moral charecter. Very important in the days of bad press from renegade athletes. He has done pretty good with the offense, can speak and recruit.