Former Missouri RB Star Brock Olivo

sarge87

LINK

Brock Olivo to run for Congress

ASSOCIATED PRESS

02/17/2008

HERMANN, Mo. -- The Republican race to replace Kenny Hulshof in Congress is taking shape as a former University of Missouri football player has joined the campaign and two lawmakers say they are closer to deciding whether to run.

Brock Olivo, a star running back whose college jersey number (27) is retired at Mizzou, told a crowd of about 200 at a Gasconade County Republican Party dinner on Friday that he wants to go to Congress.

"Put the ball in my hands. I want to be the citizen's politician," he said.

He told reporters he was still working out a platform but has always been a hard worker with a passion for American government.

Olivo, who grew up near Hermann and played high school football at St. Francis Borgia in Washington, Mo., played four years in the National Football League on special teams for the Detroit Lions. He then moved to Washington, D.C., where he worked for the National Italian American Foundation, and has also lived in Italy.

"Not only was I football player, but I also was in social studies class, and I have a passion for how this country works," Olivo said.

Watching the announcement were Reps. Danie Moore, of Fulton, and Bob Onder, of Lake St. Louis, who each said they're also nearing a decision.

Hulshof is not seeking re-election because he is running for governor. The vast 9th congressional district stretches across northeastern Missouri and the western St. Louis suburbs south to the Lake of the Ozarks.

Moore, who is term-limited, said in an interview with The Associated Press that she is just about finished setting up the organization needed for a run. But she would not say definitively that she plans to seek the Republican nomination.

"I'm putting together a team," Moore said. "I want to be the trusted voice of the 9th district, but I'm still managing ... putting together a campaign is quite a job, and I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row."

Onder plans to soon begin a districtwide tour to visit some of the larger cities in the district, including Columbia, Hannibal and Kirksville.

"I will spend every available minute that I'm not in session talking to party leaders and community leaders," he said.

The Democratic side also remains muddled.

Steve Gaw, a former House speaker and Public Service Commission member from Moberly, has announced he is running. Marion County Presiding Commissioner Lyndon Bode has, too. And Rep. Judy Baker, of Columbia, started fundraising before Hulshof's announcement.