@ Hawaii-Hilo Series thread - keep here.

Plethora of pitchers vie for limited spots

By VINCE KUPPIG / Daily Nebraskan

February 10, 2005

Time is on the Nebraska pitching staff’s side.

By the time Big 12 play rolls around, the Cornhusker baseball team hopes to solidify its weekend rotation. Until then, the Huskers have plenty of time – and games – to narrow down their long list of prospective starters to three.

“There’s a lot of jobs that are up for grabs,” NU pitching coach Rob Childress said. “The guys are all pushing each other and it’s made for great spring practice so far.

“We’re going to have a great idea where we are by the time we get to conference. Things will shake out.”

Returning ace Zach Kroenke begins season at the No. 1 spot. The other two starting spots appear up for grabs as the Huskers sit one week from opening the season at Hawaii-Hilo on Feb. 17. It’ll be the first of 22 games before NU opens its Big 12 season March 25.

Besides Kroenke, current Huskers battling for a spot in the weekend rotation include sophomore Joba Chamberlain, junior Brian Duensing, freshman Johnny Dorn and senior Phil Shirek.

All five will receive starts in the Huskers’ four-day, five-game trip to the Aloha State. Dustin Timm, Jon Klausing and Tony Watson also figure to be in the mix of potential weekend starters.

The Husker coaching staff likes the potential of Chamberlain, a hard throwing right-hander who is a Lincoln Northeast graduate and transfer from University of Nebraska-Kearney.

“He’s got electric stuff,” Childress said. “If there’s one thing he needs to improve on, he needs to learn to compete.

“When that light comes on, he’s got a chance to be one of the most dominant pitchers in college baseball.”

While Kroenke and Shirek combined to start 17 conference games in 2004, the Huskers struggled to find a consistent third starter, en route to not making the postseason for the first time since 1998 with a 36-23 record, including 11-16 in the Big 12.

Childress would like to use Timm in relief situations. Last season, Timm went back and forth between the rotation and bullpen. Seeing action in 20 games, all five of his starts came during Big 12 play.

“He throws a lot of strikes,” Childress said. “He can do both, but I feel more comfortable having him in that long relief role. When you go to Dusty, you know what you’re going to get. You’re going to get a guy that’s been there, done that. And he’s going to throw a ton of strikes.”

In conference play last year, Kroenke went 4-4 with a 3.38 ERA. With two years of experience under his belt, Kroenke said he’s much more comfortable going into the season than in the past. He also plans on remaining the Huskers’ ace as the season moves on.

“I’ve had to work my butt off this year just to stay No. 1,” the junior left-hander from Omaha said. “I think I’ve earned that spot. Hopefully, you’ll see me on a bunch of Fridays.

“It’s a lot better this year. I know what to expect and what’s going. Every year, it gets easier.”

Childress said Kroenke has done everything he’s needed to do to keep that Friday spot in the rotation.

“Kroenke’s pitched like a No. 1,” he said. “There’s a feeling of comfort with him going in the first game.”

Duensing, who had Tommy John surgery 11 months ago and is slated to start the Huskers’ third game in Hawaii, will be pitching in a game for the first time in nearly two years. The lefty suffered a moderate tear in his ulnar collateral ligament in March 2003 and was forced to have surgery after taking a year off didn’t work.

“If you just name three in Shirek, Duensing and Kroenke, those are three viable names,” NU Coach Mike Anderson said. “And you add those other guys to the mix, it’s a good situation.”

With Kroenke, Duensing, Timm and himself back, along with the newcomers, Shirek feels the Huskers’ pitching has the

“I think we have a chance to be pretty amazing,” said Shirek, who was 5-1 with a 3.07 ERA last season. “We could be real good.”