Go Big Red Menu For September 3

Roxy

You can put together the beans way before the game starts and bake them when needed. The chicken has stuffing so you won't need bread and the appetizer I chose for today...has vegetables in it so you won't need a salad. You can make this appetizer the afternoon or night before the Nebraska game and it will be fine. The main meal is chicken in the crockpot so no mess to clean up. You can make the dessert the day before and stick it on the counter or in the refrigerator; I prefer the refrigerator. When I cut a piece of it...I normally use the microwave just to warm it up a little & I top it the pie off with ice cream. These are tried and true recipes and I like all of them..enjoy:)

Vegetable Pizza:

2 packages crescent rolls

1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

1 cup Miracle Whip

2 teaspoons dill weed

1 pkg. Hidden Valley dressing

Assorted vegetables of your choice

8 oz. Cheddar Cheese, grated

Spread crescent rolls into a jelly roll pan to form a crust. Bake for 10 minutes at 375. While the rolls are cooling, mix the Hidden Valley dressing, dill weed and mayonnaise together. Spread this mixture on cooled crust. Spread assorted vegetables on top of this mixture and gently pat into the crust. Top with grated cheese. Refrigerate until served. Serve with crackers of your choice.

Chicken, Gravy & Stuffing

4 chicken breasts

4 slices Swiss Cheese (I add some Pepper Jack Cheese)

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 can cream of mushroom soup ( I like cream of celery)

1 cup chicken broth

1/4 cup milk

2 cups herb stuffing mix (I USE MORE)

1/2 cup melted butter

salt and pepper

1. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place chicken breasts in crockpot. I like to use Paula Deen's House Seasoning instead.

2. Pour chicken broth over chicken.

3. Put 1 slice of swiss cheese on each piece of chicken.

4. Combine both cans of soup and milk.

5. Cover chicken with soup mixture.

6. Sprinkle stuffing mix all over.

7. Drizzle melted butter on top.

8. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

DO NOT STIR

Paula Deen's House Seasoning:

1 cup salt

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

Stir the ingredients together. Keep the seasoning in a shaker by the stove for convenience

Baked Beans:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 lb. bacon, cut up

*Frozen bacon is easier to cut up and it doesn't take long for it to thaw.

1 large onion, chopped

3-(16-oz.) cans pork & beans

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 tsp. mustard

1/2 cup ketchup

1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce

In a large saucepan, cook bacon until bacon is crisp; drain.

Mix all the ingredients, spray casserole dish with Pam and bake for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Easy Apple Pie:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 single pie crust-I just buy it at the store

Sprinkle bottom of pie crust with brown sugar

Peel and slice 6 or 7 apples

Put slices of apples in a big bowl and add 3/4 cup sugar, sprinkle cinnamon over apples...I don't measure- just sprinkle enough for your preference. Mix 1/4 cup flour and 2 tablespoons melted butter.Spread this mixture over the apples.

Crumb Topping:

1 cup flour

1 cup Quaker Oats Oatmeal

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 cup margarine

Combine all the crumb topping ingredients together. Don't melt the butter..just slice the butter in pieces and mix it with the rest of the ingredients. Spread this mixture over the pie.

Make sure that you put a cookie sheet under the pie pan. Bake the pie in the preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Test to see if the apples are done by poking a sliced apple with a fork to see if it is tender. If they apples aren't done...bake 15 minutes longer. If the crust of the pie is getting too brown, put aluminum foil over the edge of the pie crust.