Skewers and Marinades

Roxy

My friend Mo got back to me that quick:) she is a doll:) and she sent me pictures and recipes for marinades and kabobs. I will post a Go Big Red Menu after I post this. I will try and get everyones requests in..if I forget someones request..please let me know and I will do my best to oblige. I want everyone here to be happy:) Good food and Nebraska games go hand in hand at our house anyway:) **JUST SO YOU KNOW...I WILL CLICK ON ADD THIS ATTACHMENT AND CLICK ON THE PICTURE IN MY PICTURES..AND I HOPE IT SHOWS UP...IF IT DOESN'T..TRUST ME..THEY LOOK AWESOME.

Mo's Pork, Chicken or Beef Skewers:

Teriyaki Marinade

1/2 C Soy Sauce

1/3 C Dark Brown Sugar

2 1/2 TB Corn Oil

1 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger

1 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder

1/2 tsp Black Pepper

Put all ingredients in a jar and shake well.

What I like to do is cut any type of meat up into 2 inch long strips and marinade it in the teriyaki sauce for about 2 hours. And then weave it onto skewers with some pineapple, red onions, bell peppers... and toss it on the bbq.

**This is just MY opinion..NOT Mo's...If you would like it hotter..use Spicy Teriyaki Sauce and add some cayenne pepper to it. I would add mushrooms to it too.

Nigerian Skewers/Kabobs

(for chicken, beef, shrimp or veal) ( I used chicken):

6 Bamboo skewers, soaked in warm water for at least an hour or two.

1 Pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts

1 Tablespoon minced garlic

1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger

1 Tablespoon paprika

1 Tbsp onion powder

2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (I used 1 teaspoon, and it was spicy enough for us)

2 Tablespoons finely ground peanuts (optional)

2 tbsp peanut oil or canola oil (I used canola oil)

salt

Cut chicken into bite-size pieces or thin slices. Mix the dry ingredients together and work in the minced garlic and grated ginger til the "rub" mix is fairly uniform.

In a large bowl, rub the spice mix into the chicken bits until they are evenly coated. You may need to add oil in order to get an even distribution of spices from piece to piece.

Allow to marinate for 2 to 12 hours. When the

grill is ready (it should be hot for rapid

cooking); thread the spicy meat bits onto the skewers, probably 4 or 5 pieces per skewer.

Just before grilling, brush each side with peanut oil. Salt one side evenly but lightly. Grill about 4 to 6 minutes per side, turning once, when the first side looks brown.

Use ranch dressing as a dipping sauce...So very good!

BEEF STEAK MARINADE

1/2 cup Soy Sauce

2 TBSP Vinegar

2 TBSP Honey

3 Garlic Cloves (pressed)

2 tsp Ground Ginger

3/4 cups Salad Oil

1 Green Onion (finely chopped)

1 can 7-Up

Mix marinade together, (poke meat with a fork before placing in marinade) and place meat and marinade in a shallow, non-metal, covered pan. Flip meat over often. For best results, marinate meat for 24 hours in advance before grilling.

ENJOY!!!

Basic Beef Marinade

This all around basic marinade works well for kabobs- round steak, flank steak and London broil. Marinate the beef at least overnight but not longer than 2 days. You can intensify the flavor of this marinade by bringing it to simmer for about an hour, cooling it and then adding to the beef.

Basic Beef Marinade

1/4 cup sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar

1/2 cup dry red wine

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 cup olive oil

2 garlic cloves, sliced

Coarsely ground black pepper, to taste

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

2 tablespoons fresh herbs (any combination of rosemary, tarragon and thyme)

Combine the vinegar, red wine, soy sauce, Worcestershire and sugar in a nonreactive bowl. Whisk in olive oil a little at a time, add the pepper, parsley and herbs.

Yields 2 cups

Source – Marinades by Tim Tarantino

This makes killer skewers/kabobs too!

Moroccan Lemon Marinade

2 T. lemon zest

1 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/2 c. olive oil

1/2 c. honey

2 t. cilantro

2 t. cumin

2 t. paprika

1 t. crushed red pepper

1 t. salt

1/4 c. finely minced ginger

8 cloves garlic, pressed

1 c. mixed chopped cilantro, mint and parsley

Mix the marinade ingredients and marinate chicken for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.

Source – Hot Barbecue

Orange Tarragon Chicken (Marinade)

1/2 c. Orange juice

1/4 c. Vegetable oil

1/4 c. White wine vinegar

2 T. Chopped shallots

1 t. Dried tarragon leaves

2 t. Grated orange peel

1/2 t. Salt

Mix all ingredients in shallow nonmetal dish or resealable plastic bag. Marinate for up to 24 hours, grill until cooked through.

Makes about 1 1/4 cup

Source -Betty Crocker's Great Grilling Cookbook

Chipotle Marinade

6 canned chipotles

2 t. chipotle sauce

3 tomatoes

1/2 c. freshly squeezed lime juice

1/2 c. freshly squeezed orange juice

2 T. white wine vinegar

2 garlic cloves

1 t. dried oregano

1 t. salt

1 t. pepper

Put all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth. Marinate meat 6 to 12 hours (I went 24 hours).

Source - Marinades & Rubs -Carol Wilson

Zesty Dijon Marinade

1 cup balsamic vinegar

½ c Dijon mustard

¼ c olive oil

½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper

¼ teaspoon salt

2 garlic cloves, crushed

Combine all ingredients, and stir marinade well.

Service size: 1 tablespoon

Yield 1 ½ cups

Source: Cooking Light

Here's a good beef one.

Spicy Marinade

4 tbsp. oil

5 tbsp. soy sauce

1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce

Tabasco Sauce to taste

1 medium onion

3 tbsp. lemon juice

1/2 tsp. pepper

Combine all ingredients and bring to boil.

Take off heat and let cool.

This is a little on the sweet side.

Steak Marinade

¼ c oil

2 tbsp red wine vinegar

3 tbsp soy sauce (I use low sodium)

3 tbsp honey

4 garlic clove, crushed

3 tbsp lemon juice

1 tsp crushed hot red pepper flakes

Mix in a large bowl and either add your sirloin cubes for the kebobs to the bowl or place marinade in a large baggie big enough to hold your steak and marinate for 2 hours or more.

Grilled Pork Rub

INGREDIENTS:

3 tablespoons brown sugar

2 teaspoons McCormick® Garlic Powder

2 teaspoons McCormick® Chili Powder

1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Black Pepper

1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Oregano Leaves

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 pounds pork tenderloin

DIRECTIONS

Combine seasonings. Coat pork evenly with the rub. Refrigerate 30 minutes or up to 3 hours for stronger flavor.

Lightly grease grill rack. Preheat grill to medium heat or use indirect heat method. Grill 25-30 minutes or until pork registers 160 degrees F with meat thermometer, turning occasionally.

Remove from grill, cover with aluminum foil. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into thin slices.

Source: McCormick

Steak and Ale Marinade

29-oz. can pineapple juice

10 oz. sherry

8 oz. soy sauce

4 oz. wine vinegar

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 tsp. garlic salt

Blend and marinate - this is a huge amount.

Finger Lickin’ Barbecued Chicken

Marinade-

3 to 4 pounds meaty chicken pieces

1 1/2 c. dry sherry

1 c. finely chopped onion

1/4 c. lemon juice

2 bay leaves

6 cloves garlic, minced

Sauce -

1 15-ounce can tomato puree

3 T. mild molasses

1/2 t. dried thyme, crushed

1/4 to 1/2 t. cayenne pepper

1/4 t. black pepper

1 t. salt

2 T. white vinegar

Combine the marinade ingredients and mix with chicken, marinate 2 to 4 hours, turning occasionally. Drain chicken, reserving marinade.

For sauce, combine the reserved marinade and sauce ingredients through salt. Bring to a boiling, reduce heat and simmer uncovered about 30 minutes. Stir in vinegar.

Separate the sauce and brush the chicken the last 15 minutes grilling and serve the reserved sauce on the side.

Source – Better Homes & Gardens New Grilling Book

Honey Mustard Chicken

½ c honey

¼ c Dijon mustard

2 T olive oil

2 T white wine vinegar

3 cloves garlic, crushed

2 T chopped parsley leaves

¼ t Pepper

4 lb chicken, cut into 10 serving pieces

Put the honey, mustard, oil, white wine vinegar, garlic, parsley, and ¼ t freshly ground black pepper in a large, non-metallic bowl. Mix it all together well, and put aside ¼ c of the marinade to baste the chicken during cooking. Add the chicken pieces to the rest of the marinade and turn them so that they are thoroughly coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate it for at least 4 hours, or overnight.

Preheat grill to medium indirect heat and cook the chicken pieces for 20-30 minutes, or until they are cooked through. The breast pieces may take as little as 15 minutes, while dark meat will take longer. Baste the chicken with the reserved marinade during the last 5-8 minutes of cooking, but no earlier or it is likely to burn. The chicken is delicious served on a bed of spring onion mash.

Source: Chicken Best-Ever Poultry Recipes

Honey Lemon Chicken

4 chicken breasts

4 T lemon juice

2 T dried thyme

2 T olive oil

6 T honey

1 t salt

1/2 t pepper

Salt and pepper chicken. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. Cover chicken well and chill 2 hours or overnight. Broil or grill chicken until there is no pink on the inside. Or bake 350 degrees for 1 hr.

Dijon Steak Marinade

1/2 c olive oil

1/4 c soy sauce

1/4 c red wine vinegar

2 T lemon juice

1 1/2 T Worcestershire Sauce

1 T Dijon mustard

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 t ground black pepper

In a medium bowl, mix the oil, soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic, and ground black pepper.

Caribbean Chicken & Pineapple Salsa

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1/2 c soy sauce

1/3 c lime juice

3 T brown sugar

3 T honey

dash cayenne pepper

1 tsp minced garlic

1/4 c water

1 1/2 c pineapple, cut in bite sized tidbits

1 bunch green onion, thinly sliced

1/3 c shredded coconut

cornstarch

cooked rice

Combine soy sauce through garlic to make marinade. Place chicken breasts in a nonmetal bowl or ziplock bag. Pour marinade over chicken and marinade at least 4 hours or up to overnight, turning chicken pieces occasionally.

Drain chicken, reserving marinade. Grill the chicken, over medium coals, 8 minutes on each side, or until done, basting often with the marinade. Place extra marinade in a small saucepan, add water, and bring to a boil. Whisk in cornstarch, if desired, to create a thicker sauce. In a small bowl, combine pineapple through coconut. To serve, place rice on plate, top with chicken breast, drizzle with sauce, and top with pineapple salsa.

I always at least double this or more.

Steak Marinade

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 garlic clove, minced

1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (or white)

1 teaspoon mustard

1 tablespoon soy sauce

pepper

Mix all ingredients together and place steaks into freezer bag with marinade, preferably overnight.

Source Zaar

I double it.

Orangy Grilled Chicken

¼ c water

¼ c fresh orange juice

3 T fresh lemon juice

1 T light brown sugar

1 T balsamic vinegar

1 T olive oil

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 t dried oregano

½ t paprika

¼ t salt

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves

In large airtight plastic bag or glass baking dish, combine all the ingredients except chicken.

Add chicken and turn to coat. Seal bag or cover dish and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, turning occasionally.

Remove the chicken from the marinade. Discard marinade.

Preheat grill on medium-high.

Grill chicken for 15 to 17 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center, turning once. Enjoy!

Source – American Heart Association

BALSAMIC MUSTARD MARINADE:

In a small nonmetal bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, and 2 tsp of chopped, fresh flat-leaf parsley. Combine well.

Best for: Beef

Source – BHG - A Summer’s Worth of Marinades

Zesty Curried Lime Chicken Skewers/Kabobs

1 pound boneless, skinless breasts cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces

1/2 c. plain yogurt

1/4 c. snipped fresh cilantro

1 t. lime peel

2 T. lime juice

2 T. olive oil

1 T. honey

1 T. Dijon mustard

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 t. curry powder

1/4 t. salt

1/4 t. pepper

Assorted veggies (if desired) cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces for kabobs.

Marinate chicken 4 to 24 hours. Grill turning the kabobs until no longer pink.

Source – BH&G Biggest Book Of Grilling

BBQ Steak

Submitted by: SILAU - Allrecipes

"Onion, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, soy sauce, mustard, and fresh rosemary are pureed to make a marinade for steak. It can be used with a variety of steaks, including tri-tip, flank, and sirloin."

1 small onion, chopped

7 cloves garlic

1/2 cup olive oil

1/2 cup vinegar

1/2 cup soy sauce

2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary

2 tablespoons Dijon-style prepared mustard

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 (2 pound) tri-tip steak

1. Place onion, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, soy sauce, rosemary, mustard, salt, and pepper into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Place steak in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over steaks, seal, and refrigerate for about 3 hours.

2. Preheat the grill for high heat.

3. Brush grill grate with oil. Discard marinade, and place steak on the prepared grill. Cook for 7 minutes per side, or to desired doneness.

Carolina-Style Barbecue Chicken

2 lbs Boneless skinless chicken breast

3/4 cup Packed light brown sugar, divided

3/4 cup French's Classic Yellow Mustard

1/2 cup Cider vinegar

1/4 cup Frank's RedHot Original Sauce

2 tbs Vegetable oil

2 tbs French's Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 tsp Salt

1/4 tsp Black pepper

1. Place chicken in large resealable plastic food storage bag. Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, Frank's RedHot Sauce, oil, Worcestershire, salt and pepper in 4-cup measure; mix well. Pour 1 cup mustard mixture over chicken. Seal bag; marinate in refrigerator 1 hour or overnight.

2. Pour remaining mustard mixture into small saucepan. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture thickens slightly, stirring often. Reserve for serving sauce.

3. Place chicken on well-oiled grid, reserving marinade. Grill over high heat 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center, turning and basting once with marinade. Do not baste during last 5 minutes of cooking. Discard any remaining marinade. Serve chicken with reserved sauce.

Source – Favorite Brand Name Chicken Recipes

save 1/2 of the marinade for the steaks, the other half for dipping.

Calypso Steak

4 Steaks - (Filets)

Marinade

1/2 medium onion, cut into quarters

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1/4 cup soy sauce

10 to 20 quarter size slices peeled fresh ginger (cut from 1 inch wide and 1-1/2 to 3

inches long piece)

1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, stems removed, cut in half

3 cloves garlic, peeled

1/2 tsp. ground allspice

1/2 tsp. ground paprika

1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves

Place marinade ingredients into blender or food processor, process until blended. Place steaks and marinade in plastic bag, turning to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 20 minutes to 2 hours, turning once.

Remove steaks from marinade; reserve marinade. Place steaks on grill, and grill them according to the steak grilling guide for medium doneness.

Meanwhile in small saucepan, bring reserved marinade to a rolling boil over high heat. Boil 2 minutes; strain and set aside for sauce.

Serve grilled steaks with sauce.

Marinated Spicy Pork Chops

"This is an easy and delicious recipe for marinating pork chops, steaks, or chicken. The marinade is prepared in minutes, and the meat can marinate in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours. For a quick dinner, prepare the marinade in the morning then throw them on the grill when your ready"

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 tablespoon chili sauce

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

8 center cut pork chops

DIRECTIONS

In a large resealable bag, mix together the soy sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, chili sauce, and garlic powder.. Place the pork chops into the bag, carefully seal the bag, and marinate for 6-12 hours in the refrigerator. Turn the bag over about halfway through.

Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.

Arrange pork chops on the lightly oiled grate, and cook 5 to 7 minutes on each side, until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F (70 degrees C)