Osborne's input welcomed

I know the article about Osborne has been posted but the second half of the article shows what could be the line-up for this weekend

Journal Star

Pelini: Osborne's input is welcomed

By BRENT C. WAGNER / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2008 - 08:38:32 pm CDT

A guy who knows a few things about college football has been lending his advice at Nebraska this season.

Nebraska athletic director and longtime coach Tom Osborne will occasionally stick his head in a meeting, coach Bo Pelini said. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson and Pelini each consult Osborne.

When it comes to option football, Bo Pelini figures no one knows it better than Tom Osborne. So why not have him lend his two cents on the subject?

“He comes out and watches a lot,” Pelini said at Tuesday’s news conference. “He has a tremendous understanding of offensive football, so he gives his input every now and then, suggestions and that type of thing. It’s made us a better football team.”

Pelini said Osborne pops his head into the coaches’ offices to chat football sometimes. Has NU ever used any of Osborne’s suggestions for some option plays?

“I’m pretty sure we have,” Pelini said.

“No. 1: He can say anything he wants to me at anytime. But No. 2: He has a tremendous understanding of the game and how to prepare and what to do. Is he walking down and saying, ‘You have to run this play?’ No, he doesn’t do that. But he’s very respectful and he understands the right way to go about it. He’s very conscious of doing things the right way in every aspect of life. And I think he understands the right way and wrong way to give suggestions.”

Pelini said he even sometimes asks Osborne questions about opposing offenses’ blocking schemes.

“His input can extend way beyond the offensive side to the defensive side,” Pelini said. “He’s a genius when it comes to the game of football.” “He’s a genius when it comes to offensive football, blocking... You’d be crazy not to listen.”

Quarterback Joe Ganz says Osborne has helped the coaches with his option background.

“Some of the things we do are a direct reflection of him,” said Pelini during Tuesday’s weekly news conference.

Virginia Tech comes to Memorial Stadium on Saturday for a 7 p.m. game that will be broadcast on ABC. Virginia Tech (3-1, 2-0 ACC) should pose a greater challenge than Western Michigan, San Jose State and New Mexico State have for Nebraska in the first three games.

“They’re bigger, faster,” Pelini said. “They’re a BCS team that has had a tremendous amount of success, so obviously they’ve been able to recruit well.”

Much will be made this week of Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer and his history of excellent special teams. Nebraska, too, prides itself on special teams.

“They’re good on special teams, they always have been,” Pelini said. “We have a very high emphasis on special teams every week, and that won’t change.

“It’s an important phase of the game. We want to win that every week.”

Aside from San Jose State playing the Huskers close into the fourth quarter, Nebraska hasn’t faced a lot of adversity. That may change this week, and many fans wonder how Nebraska will react.

“We have good senior leadership, and guys I know can step up and make plays,” receiver Todd Peterson said.

There was no major news on this week’s depth chart, but a few things are worth noting:

- The starting free safety is listed as Rickey Thenarse or Matt O’Hanlon.

- Jared Crick is listed as the backup to Ty Steinkuhler at defensive tackle. Shukree Barfield is backing up Ndamukong Suh at nose tackle. Cameron Meredith is the backup behind Pierre Allen at one rush end spot.

- Anthony West, back from injury, is listed at the starter at right cornerback ahead of Prince Amukamara. Also, true freshman Alfonzo Dennard’s name is on the depth chart, as the third-stringer at left corner behind Armando Murillo and Eric Hagg.

- The offensive line, as expected is: Mike Smith (left tackle), Mike Huff (left guard), Jacob Hickman (center), Matt Slauson (right guard) and Lydon Murtha (right tackle). Andy Christensen, who is available for this game, is not listed on the two-deep.

Pelini was upbeat on Tuesday. He likes his players, he likes the staff.

“It’s a work in progress for sure,” Pelini said. “I like where we are. We’re getting better week-to-week.

“I think they’re enjoying playing football. I think they’re anxious to play Virginia Tech.”