What is Going On at NU?

Guest Patrick Casser

Beleive it or not, I think Nutt was the "first" choice, sort of. Meaning, he was top of the list, but not the sole candidate. I think the AD wanted to wait until the Razorbacks' bowl game to see how that turned out before going further. If Arkansas won - which they did - he could then say he was selecting a coach that had done something - with less resources - that Frank could not...beat Texas and Mizzou.

I agree, except didnt he "offer" and/or "get turned down" by Al Saunders first? It doesnt really matter, my point is I just cant believe steve was traveling from city to city offering the job day after day. and i shouldnt put it past the media, but I cant F-ING believe that they wont let this damn spin go!! its friggin ridiculous, and makes 0 conceivable sense. specially since he hadnt even interviewd the in-house favorites/bo and turner at that point. get a clue people!! so sick of hearing on espn and other places "Does anyone want the Nebraska job?!" and "who will turn down NU next?" enuf already, its so tired..

and i also agree that the way Frank was fired was out of line. I dont agree that there is only one way to fire someone. yes by the true definition of "fire" someone there is only one way, but more imporatnt since this job is in the national spotlight) is the manner in which it was handled. bttom line he should not have let the story leak (which I stil blame SP for), if this wouldnt have happend he wouldnt have been forced to fire him when he did. this wouldnt have given the media a month to spin the story and cause the image disaster that occured, which obvisouly had an adverse effect on recruiting, and of course the coaching search, and many other aspect that have yet to be realized. This is one reason at least i think it was the "wrong" way to fire someone- for the sake of the program, not to metion for the sake of respecting Frank, someone who was in the program for so long. this is why most people are raging against SP.

I was thinking about this the other day. For the past 4+ years, every time I sit down

to watch an NU game I have thought, "OK, is the offense going to show up today?",

"Is the defense give up the run?"

but Dave ads a good point. I felt the same way for a while too. but this was not just frank. look at the improvements after the revamp from 2 yrs ago. A new energy was alive in the program again, and Frank was still coach. this was mostly in the defense, but the offense always takes longer to catch up, so they will be there by next yr too.

rc

I agree. My point was that letting Frank continue through the bowl game would not have hurt recruiting. Why let him go before then, unless it was to either improve recruiting, or from fear that under Frank the players would not play well enought to win (and thereby indirectly affect recruiting, possibly)? I just don't think that Frank's coaching would have resulted in a loss, and it's obvious that no one was waiting in the wings that would have given recruiting a boost, so why fire him before the bowl?