Mom's Fried Fish/Pic

Roxy

This is the way my mom used to make fried fish. My dad..when he was alive..took me fishing alot when I was young..he knew every place to go to catch alot of fish..he had his own pond as well. I have made this using a skillet..but..sometimes the coating is hard to keep on so will try using my deep-fat fryer next time. I love this recipe. May sprinkle the coating with Paula Deen's House Seasoning (I keep Paula's Seasoning by the stove for convenience) the next time I make this. I didn't make this tartar sauce though.

Mom's Fried Fish:

Ingredients:

2 eggs, beaten

1-1/2 cups crushed saltines (about 45 crackers)

2 pounds whitefish fillets, cut in half lengthwise

Oil for frying

TARTAR SAUCE:

1 cup mayonnaise

2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish

1 tablespoon finely chopped onion

Directions:

Place eggs and cracker crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip fillets into eggs, then coat with crumbs. Let stand for 5 minutes.

In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry fillets, a few at a time, for 2 minutes on each side or until fish is golden brown and flakes easily with a fork. Drain on paper towels.

In a small bowl, combine the tartar sauce ingredients. Serve with fish. Yield: 6 servings