Doug Gottlieb is a D*#che

Published Friday January 30, 2009

Men's Basketball: Doc unhappy with ESPN2 announcer

BY LEE BARFKNECHT

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — Nebraska basketball coach Doc Sadler took a dim view Thursday of ESPN2 analyst Doug Gottlieb's use of the phrase "acting like a punk" in reference to Husker point guard Cookie Miller.

During NU's 68-62 loss to Kansas on Wednesday, a scramble for a loose ball with 8:47 left turned into a dogpile, and the 5-foot-7 Miller got tangled up with 6-5 KU guard Mario Little.

While narrating a replay, Gottlieb said in reference to Miller continuing to tug at the ball:

"He should let it go. He's acting like a punk."

Sadler's voice could be heard Thursday booming through an office hallway asking for a phone number for ESPN.

"I think it's fair for people to analyze coaches and officials," Sadler said. "But I think unless there is something flagrantly done, you don't call out players.

"When there is a play that is a loose ball and there is nothing done but a jump ball called, to call out a player and say he's 'acting like a punk' is wrong. You don't do that."

By Thursday midday, Sadler already had contacted the Big 12 office — ESPN is the league's primary basketball television partner — and was planning to call Gottlieb and ESPN headquarters.

Gottlieb, in a phone interview late Thursday afternoon, said he had just talked to Sadler.

The analyst said he stands by what he said, but understood Sadler's viewpoint and praised him for sticking up for his player.

Gottlieb said there is a big distinction between calling someone a punk and saying someone is acting like a punk.

"The only guy still going after the whistle was Miller," he said. "You've got to be very careful in that situation not to instigate something.

"I didn't like that it took away from how hard the game was played."

Gottlieb is scheduled to work the Texas A&M at Nebraska game on Feb. 24. Could his comments cost him that assignment?

"It could happen," he said. "That's totally out of my power.

"The niche that I have carved out is that I'm not afraid of the ramifications of what I say in good taste. If that means I lose the Texas A&M-Nebraska game, so be it."

Gottlieb is a former Oklahoma State player who now hosts an ESPN radio show and does color commentary. His father, Bob, served as an assistant coach at Creighton under Eddie Sutton from 1969 to 1971, about five years before Doug Gottlieb was born.

In other Husker news, freshman Toney McCray's switch back to the wing from the frontcourt means playing time could be hard to come by, Sadler said.

McCray never left the bench against Kansas, a first in 19 games this season.

"There aren't many minutes to be had on the perimeter," Sadler said. "That's why I was trying to play him inside — to get him into games.

"It's a situation where he's going to have to compete for minutes hard now."

Also, Sadler and Nebraska senior forward Ade Dagunduro have been reprimanded by the Big 12 for their remarks about officiating after NU's 76-74 overtime loss to Oklahoma State.

At a postgame press conference, both discussed the apparent contact on a play in which no foul was called with 3.5 seconds left in overtime. Had a foul been called, Dagunduro would have had two free throws to tie the game.