Kenyon McNeill - Point Guard Recruit

From today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette:

THE RECRUITING GUY: Conway guards looking at options

By Richard Davenport

LITTLE ROCK — Conway High School has arguably the best two junior guards in the state in point guard Kenyon McNeill and combination guard Preston Purifoy, who helped lead the Wampus Cats to a 23-4 record and the Class 7A state semifinals this season.

McNeill, 6-0, 180 pounds, averaged 15 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.6 assists per game while shooting 52 percent from the field and 36 percent on three-pointers. He’s drawing interest from Arkansas, Baylor, Mississippi State, Missouri, Nebraska, UALR and Alabama-Birmingham.

The Huskers appear to be showing the most interest.

“Nebraska is saying I would be a good addition to their squad,” said McNeill, who has played with Purifoy since grade school. “They said they need a point guard and I would fit in.”

McNeill plans to attend elite camps this summer at Arkansas, Baylor, Ole Miss and Missouri. He and Purifoy will play for the Arkansas Wings AAU team this spring and summer, and he hopes his performance elevates his status with college coaches.

“I really want to get out there and play AAU ball and see how that goes and try and commit before the school year starts,” McNeill said.

Conway Coach James Bates said McNeill has several strong qualities and a good knowledge of the game.

“He attacks the rim well and gets to the free-throw line a lot,” Bates said. “He takes the right shots and gets otherpeople their shots. He’s a complete player at the point guard position.”

• 9 months later...