Thunder Collins-that deserves a YO

Never thought I would have heard from this guy again. I guess this means he took his brother out of Northeast.

Thunder Collins goes NFL

Peoria, Illinois – The Thunder rolls as they say but in this case it is Thunder Collins and he is rolling into the National Football League. The recent star of the Peoria Rough Riders backfield and former Nebraska Cornhusker has earned himself the ultimate opportunity, an invite to join a NFL team. His name will be added to the ever growing list of Peoria players to go on to play at a higher level and one day may face Jason Short, another former Peoria footballer that has moved to the big time and now plays for the Philadelphia Eagles. Collins future team cannot be mentioned due to details in his contract yet to be finalized but you can look for him on Sundays from now on.

“It is great to see this young man get to opportunity to continue his professional career at that higher level. He truly deserves the opportunity and we are all excited for him, “ said Head Coach Bruce Cowdrey.

In just three games for the Rough Riders Collins racked up 159 yards rushing on 44 carries giving him a 3.61 average. He rushed for 3 touchdowns and caught another one. In his first game with Peoria against Sioux Falls Thunder averaged 4.3 yards per carry while playing the entire second half of that game after suffering a concussion.

Collins established himself as a dangerous weapon in Nebraska’s option attack in 2001. The I-back from Los Angeles, Calif., ranked third on the team with 647 rushing yards. Collins’ total trailed only Diedrick’s Big 12-leading 1,299 yards and Heisman Trophy winner Eric Crouch’s 1,115 rushing yards among the Huskers. Along with running ability, Collins proved himself an excellent receiver, ranking third on the team with 19 receptions for 189 yards. Collins had at least one catch in each of the last eight regular-season games. His 19 season receptions are the most by a Husker running back since I-back Lawrence Phillips had 22 receptions for 172 yards in 1994. He is tied for fifth among I-backs in season receptions and his 189 yards are the most by an NU running back since Jeff Kinney had 252 in 1971. A serious big-play threat as either a runner or receiver, Collins uncorked a career-long 50-yard run at Baylor and added a career-best 45-yard reception against Kansas State. Collins owns one career start, coming at I-back in the season-opening win over TCU. Debut: One of the few bright spots in this weeks game Thunder rushed for 60 yards and had 34 yards on kick returns.

“Hopefully he won’t be the last of this year’s group to have that opportunity. We’re proud of the record this organization has of giving talented athletes like Thunder Collins the opportunity to progress in their professional football careers,” said Bruce Cowdrey Head Coach of the Peoria Rough Riders.

Thunder was a clown. I remember talking to him one time after he rented a car to 'go up to Omaha to the state track meet to look at all the High School girls in their short shorts.' I couldn't stop laughing! This was a year after he played for NU. Best of luck to him.

Talk about hype, this guy was supposed to be the next great thing when he signed here.