Rate this police officer

Pretty good video. Just do the easy thing and obey the officer. Let an attorney handle the case if the person thinks they are innocent of the charges. I dont have all the facts on Tasers. It appears to be an emotional issue and politically charged. If a person dies from being tased maybe it would be better to spray them or beat them with a baton? If an officer sprayed me I would bronchospasm and die on the spot. I cant even clean the seeds out of raw chili's without just about hacking up a lung :) . I would rather be tazed. But not arguing is the easiest road to take.

During my career, I've been both a Prosecuting Attorney and a Criminal Defense Attorney. I've seen cases of police brutality. This simply isn't one. The officer has the right during a stop to order the subject out of the vehicle - it's a safety issue that evolved from one too many police officers being struck by a driver who, instead of exiting, decided to "floor it", or who had a weapon hidden in the vehicle. This officer gave clear, understandable, reasonable directives and warnings, and resorted to what is probably the least harmful manner to obtain compliance.

As one of the officers noted, it is routine for policemen to undergo both taser and pepper spray, just to give them an idea of the effects.

:rollin Gosh dang it that was good!!! :rollin

It was way better with sound!!!!

IMO, the cop may have been a little quick with the taser, but hell, she had more than one chance to obey orders.

While most cops are good and honorable people, they are far from perfect and do make mistakes, their job is very difficult and dangerous, and the average person can only imagine what they have to go through. A friend of mine that was a cop told me many stories, and what they have to deal with is incredible.

During my career, I've been both a Prosecuting Attorney and a Criminal Defense Attorney. I've seen cases of police brutality. This simply isn't one. The officer has the right during a stop to order the subject out of the vehicle - it's a safety issue that evolved from one too many police officers being struck by a driver who, instead of exiting, decided to "floor it", or who had a weapon hidden in the vehicle. This officer gave clear, understandable, reasonable directives and warnings, and resorted to what is probably the least harmful manner to obtain compliance.

As one of the officers noted, it is routine for policemen to undergo both taser and pepper spray, just to give them an idea of the effects.

A friend of mine that was a cop told me many stories, and what they have to deal with is incredible.

Do either of you guys have any stories you might be able to tell. Obviously don't use names.

Do either of you guys have any stories you might be able to tell. Obviously don't use names.

Hmmmm...here's one I love, even though it wasn't police brutality. I was prosecuting in a district court once (that's a court that covers both cities and unincorporated areas), and as was typical, had no idea what cases were up for the day - you typically got all the documentation the moment you arrived, and had to speed-read it and then briefly meet with the officers just before each case.

Well, I was reading one officer's report, stopped, and re-read it. Seems the officer pulled over a man for drunken driving - and there was no doubt the driver was drunk. Trouble was, nothing in the report indicated why. I assumed that the officer simply forgot to include the facts that led to the probable cause to stop. No problem - I saunter over to the officer to get the facts.

This gentleman was your prototypical southern deputy for the Sherrif's Department. Hugh belly, big chew of tobacco, thick southern accent. A good ol' boy of the first order.

"Say, Deputy", I began, "I don't see in your report any details as to why you arrested this man".

"Why, sonny," he drawls, "that there's ol' Tom Jones." (Named changed, obviously.)

"Uh, right", I reply, "but why did you stop him?"

The deputy starts to get a little steamed, although I can't figure for he life of me figure out why.

"Damnit, I said he's Tom Jones!!!!", said the Deputy, voice rising.

Then it hit me...

"Deputy, you wouldn't happen to know Mr. Jones, would you?"

"Hell, yes, I know the sombitch! Went to high school with the bastard!"

"Uh-huh", I reply. "And by any chance has Mr. Jones been one to drink too much most of the time you've known him?"

"Why, sheet yeah, boy!"

"And when you saw him driving on that country road late at night, you knew that the only way Mr. Jones would be out at that time is if he was plastered, right?"

Well, at that point the deputy gets a look on his face that says, "Hey, maybe this Yankee bastard ain't so dumb after all!"

"Damn straight! Like I says, that's Tom Jones".

I thanked the deputy, walked into the courtroom, and immediately dismissed the case. The deputy had followed me in, and when I dismissed the case, he hit the roof. In open court, he starts in...

"What the hell you doin', boy?!?!?! You got sheet for brains or som'thin?!?!?!?"

The judge called us up to the bench, and asked for an explanation. I told him - and made sure he understood that the traffic stop occurred without probable cause. The judge motions us back, and then states that he's granting my motion to nole pros.

The deputy caught me outside later, and demanded to know "why you done such a damn-fool thing". I tried to explain probable cause, and why he had to have it. Then I stopped, and said the I didn't recognize him, and did he ever come to any of the trainings I gave local law enforcement. His reply?

"Sheet, boy, I been a police officer since 'fore you was borned. I don't need no school classes. I know every person in this county, and I know when they's doing wrong".

I just shook my head and walked away...

Funny thing is, he probably did keep the peace - he just didn't do it legally...

• 1 month later...

Sorry it took awhile to get back to this one, but it will take a little time to type.

1. My friend (call him Mike) worked vice and had the job of busting the gay-sex pickup in the public parks. He was sitting in his car at a park one day, no-one else around, and this guy pulls up next to him and starts making conversation. Well, the guy (Mr. Smith) asked Mike what he was doing, and since he couldnt entrap Smith, Mike just said, "Oh, just out enjoying the day" Mr Smith make a few lewd gestures to Mike, and asked him to join him in his car, so Mike did. Mike could initiate any contact or say anything suggestive, so he just sat there chit-chatting, and Smith started to touch and rub Mike, and he was thinking "Man, this guy is gonna go for my crotch" and right when he did, Mike grabbed his arm and said "You're under arrest." Mike said Smith opened the car door and took off running, and he was thinking "Sh!t, I'm gonna have to chase this guy" but Smith just ran behind the car and started running in circles, crying. Smith said "Please dont arrest me, my wife will find out, and I will lose my job!" As it turns out, Mr Smith was a high-ranking school board member at one of the smaller school districts in the metro area, and even though it didnt get much attention, he ended up losing his job, I believe.

2. Mike went to a call at a house in the ghetto area, and when he got there, there was this lady (Miss White) who was giving Mike and his partner fits. Mike is about 5' 7" weighs about 210, but this woman was close to 6' and 300. So she goes off saying "Why did they send you over here. You aint no good to me, if you took off your badge, I'll whip that little MF-er's ass right there!!" as she pointed at Mike. Mike took off his belt, handed it and his badge to his partner, and started shadow boxing the woman. He said "I'll hit you so hard, I'll knock that other tooth right out of your mouth and make your face even!!"

Miss White started laughing so hard that she almost wet herself, and Mike got to leave without incident.

There were alot of stories I heard from Mike, but it has been quite a while since I have heard them. This was just a couple that I could remember off the top of my head.