Salsa and Tortilla Chips

Roxy

This salsa is fabulous. I have tried making many salsas and this is the best in my opinion anyway:) This is the only salsa I make now. It takes awhile to make..but..it is worth it:) Make it the day before to allow flavors to mingle. If you prefer salsa that isn’t as hot… DON’T USE THE SERRANO PEPPERS. It will still be hot, but, it won’t be quite as hot. This makes a bunch of salsa…cut recipe in half if you don’t have alot of people to feed.

Salsa:

6 lbs. Roma (Plum) tomatoes

1/4 lb. Roma (Plum) tomatoes, chopped-I used 6 tomatoes

3 bunches of garlic-not individual cloves

1/4 cup real lemon juice-2 lemons-I go by looks..so am just guessing on the amount of lemon juice

1-1/2 tablespoons salt

1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

Alot of green onions

12 fresh jalapeno peppers

12 fresh serrano peppers

Use your food processor with the “S” blade to chop up the following. Put them in seperate bowls in the refrigerator when you get done doing each one.

Chop the 6 Roma Plum tomatoes by hand. Put in the refrigerator.

Green onions=I cut them into slices or use your food processor if you want

Garlic-I use the food procesor-or cut them up if you want.

Take 12 fresh jalapenos & the serrano peppers; cut off the stems. Take a knife and cut down the middle and remove the seeds if you want. Keeping the seeds in will make the salsa hotter….I keep the seeds in.

Chop the jalapenos and the serrano peppers using the “S” blade in the food processor..just pulse it…or chope them up by hand.

Squeeze the 2 lemons to make lemon juice.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Briefly put in the 6 lbs. of tomatoes. Keep the tomatoes in the pot just until the tomatoe skins start to loosen and set color. Drain the tomatoes and put them in the food processor and cursh them using the “S” blade.

Using the same pot as you used to boil the tomatoes in, mix the 6 chopped tomatoes that you chopped by hand, the 6 lbs. crushed tomatoes, juice from 2 lemons, 1-1/2 tablespoons salt, 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper, chopped green onions, chopped jalapeno peppers, chopped garlic and 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin. Bring this to a boil and continue boilng until the vegetables are soft and mixture has reached desired consistency. Remove from heat, put in container and refrigerate.

**Serve with homemade Tortilla Chips or buy some.

Tortilla Chips:

12 corn tortillas, cut into quarters

Vegetable oil for deep frying

1 tsp. salt

To fry the chips, add enough oil to come halfway up the sides of a large heavy pot or electric deep-fat fryer & heat over high heat to 360 degrees.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.

Sprinkle lightly with salt to taste while still