What I'd like to see on the offensive side of the ball

With the first game just 25 days away, I thought I would delve into some of the offensive concepts that I hear are being implemented.

First things first. The players may be different, but the game is still the same. That being said, Ganz, Swift, and Peterson are gone, which leaves us more inclined to run the ball. But, the goal here is still to control the ball, and time of possession. We all saw what that could do for us against better teams (Texas Tech).

-Good balance of shotgun and heavy formations. Ace formation is almost a perfect match for our personnel. With Holt and Paul at wide receiver, Dreu Young and Mike McNeill at tight end. A good pair of running backs in Helu and Castille, and Zac Lee at QB.

Some of the plays that we should see more of this year

-64-65 H Dive, is just your basic straight ahead HB running play with inside zone blocking principals.

-98-99 Toss Sweep-same basic principals of the old USC student body sweep, but more utilizing of the WR's as crack back blockers, springing some big holes for HB.

-36-37 Read-Zone Read, hopefully we will be seeing a pitch back in this look in the fall. The defense can just play the odds on the zone read, when it's ran with the dive and the keep. A pitch back would give it a triple option look and be very much harder to defend.

-90-91 Inside Iso-follow the fullback, need I say more? Some teams run this with inside zone blocking schemes, but that defeats the purpose of the iso play. The iso, is meant to get the fullback one on one with the middle linebacker, rather than sweep everyone to the direction of the play.

I'll have more up later, but I've got to get back to work.