Phoenix Pastor Draws Protests After Telling Church He Prays for Obama's Death

A Phoenix-area pastor has started to draw protesters to his congregation after he delivered a sermon titled, "Why I Hate Barack Obama," and told his parishioners that he prays for President Obama's death.

Pastor Steven Anderson stood by his sermon in an interview with MyFOXPhoenix, which reports that the pastor continues to encourage his parishioners to join him in praying for the president's death.

"I hope that God strikes Barack Obama with brain cancer so he can die like Ted Kennedy and I hope it happens today," he told MyFOXPhoenix on Sunday. He called his message "spiritual warfare" and said he does not condone killing.

But a small crowd of protesters gathered around his church Sunday, calling Anderson's words "incomprehensible." And MyFOXPhoenix reported that the sermon, which has drawn widespread attention, led to death threats against the pastor.

Anderson's inflammatory message stems in part from Obama's abortion-rights stance.

In Anderson's controversial sermon, delivered at his Faithful Word Baptist Church in Tempe before Obama arrived for a speech in Phoenix earlier in the month, the pastor said he wants the president to "melt like a snail" with salt on it.

"I'm gonna pray that he dies and goes to hell when I go to bed tonight. That's what I'm gonna pray," he told his congregation.

The last time fierce opposition to Obama's abortion position drew widespread attention was when Obama delivered the commencement address at the University of Notre Dame.

The Anderson sermon also drew concern after it was reported that one man carrying an assault rifle outside the Phoenix arena where Obama spoke was a member of Anderson's church.

I am a conservative/libertarian. I have no love for President Obama's policies. But unlike the left under Bush I do consider him to be my president, and if I'm praying regarding him, it's for his health and safety and wise decision making. This kind of stuff should be absolutely repugnant to any American.

However the man is free to say whatever he wants. But his congregation should tell him to shut the hell up.

I am sure they're plenty of people in this country who dislike Obama. One pastor says he prays for his death and it makes the evening news? I'm just saying; isn't this a little overblown?

Coming from a person (me) who is not a fan of our president I can say with all honesty and accuracy - the reaction to Pastor Momo's comments are not at all overblown.

***SNIP***

However the man is free to say whatever he wants.

***SNIP***

Not entirely. Part of the tax exempt status enjoyed by churches is based on their alleged lack of involvement in politics. This kind of action could be construed as crossing that line.

Exactly. And the fact he wishes the President were dead is enough to bring the hammer down from the Secret Service. I suspect a few guys with earbuds, dark sunglasses and ego problems will be knocking on his door in the very very short future.

I am sure they're plenty of people in this country who dislike Obama. One pastor says he prays for his death and it makes the evening news? I'm just saying; isn't this a little overblown?

Coming from a person (me) who is not a fan of our president I can say with all honesty and accuracy - the reaction to Pastor Momo's comments are not at all overblown.

Why are you taking this so seriously? Do you honestly think he has any intention of hurting the President?

Why are you taking this so seriously? Do you honestly think he has any intention of hurting the President?

You never know.

***SNIP***

***SNIP***

Not entirely. Part of the tax exempt status enjoyed by churches is based on their alleged lack of involvement in politics. This kind of action could be construed as crossing that line.

Exactly. And the fact he wishes the President were dead is enough to bring the hammer down from the Secret Service. I suspect a few guys with earbuds, dark sunglasses and ego problems will be knocking on his door in the very very short future.

:clap:laughpound

***SNIP***

***SNIP***

Do they even enforce this anymore? I mean Reverend Wright, Pastor Phelps, and this wack job should have their status pulled, but I wouldn't hold my breath.