Some Thoughts on Today

Husker_x

It's always tough to get a lot of information out of Sun Belt opponents, although in this day and age scheduling pastries isn't the short order it used to be. If you don't believe me, ask Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert how many tums he's popped tonight after a squeaker win against Bolwing 'freaking' Green. Or KSUCC. Or Colorado. Or Oklahoma. Or Oklahoma State. Nebraska gets to make a claim that's getting rarer in these preseason games. We took care of our business and went home with back to back blowout wins, which doesn't mean we're the second coming of the Patriots, but it means that Bo Pelini and staff have gotten Nebraska up for a smackdown when I'm sure some on the team would rather sleep in late and dream of a Virginia Tech upset.

That being said, what can we take from these first two games?

1. Zac Lee has slapped a bitch, and that bitch's name is Quarterback Controversy. Although he performed very well in week one, Arkansas State (who sported a vastly superior D-line) couldn't ruffle his feathers at all. Minus a couple sacks which he shrugged off like so much blowing wind, his 27/35 for 340 yards and 0 interceptions (mark that one) cemented his place as our quarterback. And while the secondaries weren't overwhelming, Zac throws the ball exactly where it needs to be almost every time. He's cool in the pocket, and hits his receivers in the right place at the right time. He is the perfect QB for Watson's scheme, and he is what everyone thought he would be: physically more capable than Ganz.

2. The Run needs work. On both sides of the ball. While the only numbers that really matter in football are the shiny ones on the scoreboard after sixty minutes have elapsed, these tuneup games are pressure gauge for things to come. Helu came out flat today. Arkie State was stacking the box a bit, and Lee was hitting all his receivers, but against a cupcake you'd hope your star back could tote the rock for a hundred yards which includes one nice long burst. As for the defense, there's stuff to clean up. Tackling for one. Containing the QB on broken plays for two. It's hard to disparage a defensive performance when the opponent can't even hit double digits, but Virginia Tech's Tyrod Taylor isn't going to stay under double digits if he's not contained. Nor is Gabbert. Nor is Reesing.

3. The Huskers are ready to prove who they are. There are reasons to be reassured and reasons to be concerned going into week three. Virginia Tech is the absolute perfect test. Weak on offense and stellar on defense, Nebraska will walk into Blacksburg armed with the talent to win. Question is, will they do it? If Lee puts up another performance like he did today, Nebraska wins by two touchdowns. But if the offensive performances so far were really only the product of weak defense, we could be in for a fight. The defense will be pressured more by the run than the pass, but as Alabama showed, Va Tech is not exactly unstoppable. The entire defense will need to play with the same level of intensity they maintained during the first quarter today. Lapses and breakdowns will be exploited far more effectively, and Tyrod Taylor will punish you even on broken plays.

All told, Nebraska is getting better. A loss at Va Tech wouldn't be the loss of a season, but it would sting. Last year the Huskers could have just as easily won the game as lost it. Had we played them at the end of the season instead of the beginning, I'm almost certain we'd have been a 10 win team. But this time the show is on the road. Hopefully Lee takes the crowd out of it early and we hold on for dear life. But spot for spot, player for player, I think Nebraska has the horses. Now they'll either prove me wrong, or much more happily, prove me right.

Heres a lee question.

Because i dont get to see the games and you say lee is cool in the pocket. Has there been a moment when he has been truly threatened in the pocket, or had a bad rush against him so he had to hurry. Just curious.

Yes there has been, in both games. More so in the game today than the first game. He's very smart with the ball.

Not to be a negative nancy though. But.......... he hasnt been in the situation where hes down on points and has to make the play. Or maybe needs that touchdown or that long bomb to get things done in a pinch. Im not saying he cant do it. Im just saying i dont think hes been in that situation. But i guess well see on saturday. I really think if we can beat these guys on saturday then were at another level. Keep our players still learning and keep our qb focused. And all should be right in the world.

Not to be a negative nancy though. But.......... he hasnt been in the situation where hes down on points and has to make the play. Or maybe needs that touchdown or that long bomb to get things done in a pinch. Im not saying he cant do it. Im just saying i dont think hes been in that situation. But i guess well see on saturday. I really think if we can beat these guys on saturday then were at another level. Keep our players still learning and keep our qb focused. And all should be right in the world.

You're right he hasn't been in that situation, but wouldn't you be even more worried if he HAD been in that situation so far? I agree with you though, if the coaches get these guys fired up and ready to play mistake free football we can come away with a hard earned win.

You're right he hasn't been in that situation, but wouldn't you be even more worried if he HAD been in that situation so far? I agree with you though, if the coaches get these guys fired up and ready to play mistake free football we can come away with a hard earned win.

Watching USC's freshman QB last night would be good training for any youngsters on how to take the crowd out of the game. That kid was spectacular in that setting...if he can do it so can our young guys.