Chris Brooks finds inspiration from his son

Didn't see this posted yet... if it was, I apologize.

Just when you thought you couldn't cheer any harder for him...

He keeps a picture of his inspiration on his wristband. Just one look down can lift his spirits.

One look down and Chris Brooks sees the big picture.

He could have walked away from football. After all, the Husker senior wide receiver had just three catches after four years in the program. Don’t doubt others would have cleaned out their lockers.

But what message would that have sent to the 5-year-old boy back in St. Louis, the one who bounces around the room whenever Dad gets his hands on the ball?

“I know what I’m doing it for,” Brooks said. “I know who I’m doing it for.”

Chris Brooks Jr. lives in St. Louis, the same town where his dad tore up football fields at Hazelwood East High School.

Brooks Sr. had more than 1,200 yards receiving his senior year and four stars to his name. The scholarship offers rolled in. Missouri, Florida, Illinois. ... He chose Nebraska.

He’s glad he did.

“There have been a lot of ups and downs,” Brooks said. “But like I’ve always stated, there’s a great staff here. And I’m able to talk to them about not just football but other things. Life. I’m big on being a father, so I pick Coach (Ted) Gilmore’s brain ... just to see how he deals with it. And it kind of transfers over to me and me being able to deal with my son being 400 miles away.”

You can be sure Junior enjoyed Dad’s performance last week against Louisiana-Lafayette. Brooks caught a career-high three passes for 50 yards, including a 4-yard touchdown.

“He’s usually hitting his head against the walls when I make a play,” Brooks says. “It’s a wonderful feeling to call back home and know that he’s watching.”

He’s given his son a lot to cheer about. In four games this year, Brooks has caught eight passes for 111 yards, already almost tripling the number of receptions he had in the previous four years.

Brooks doesn’t make a big deal about it. After his career-best game Saturday, he said: “That’s what I’m supposed to do.”

That response hardly surprised Gilmore, Brooks’ position coach.

Brooks has been that mature guy in the room since he arrived as a freshman.

“He’s not a guy that’s looking for someone to pat him on the back,” Gilmore said. “He just wants the truth and he’ll deal with it.”

Such an attitude has gained Brooks plenty of respect in the locker room.

He may not have seen much playing time as a wide receiver last year — catching just two passes — but he was a mainstay on special teams and viewed as one of the team’s leaders.

“Even in the times of frustration, whether it’s being hurt or lack of playing time, he’s always remained positive,” Gilmore said. “He’s never blamed anybody else. He’s looked in the mirror and done everything I’ve asked.”

And now Gilmore said Brooks has put himself in a position where he’s going to get more playing time.

Perseverance is paying off.

But what was it that made him persevere?

“That goes back to being a father,” Brooks said. “I was in a situation where I didn’t know what I was going to do, whether I was going to stay, whether I was going to leave. But I believe you should never quit at anything. And if I want to say that, I have to live it. In order for my son to live it, I have to do it as well. I love this team. I love this university. I love this state.

“I’ve always approached the game in the same aspect and that’s 100 percent. ... It’s paying off, but we’re just scratching the surface on how good we can be as a team. And, hopefully, I’m scratching the surface on how good I can be as a receiver.”

Being from Missouri, Brooks has fielded his share of questions about playing the Tigers on Thursday.

What’s he think about playing against the school he used to follow as a kid?

He smiles at the question. Yeah, it’s a big game. “Because all of them are big.”

But no doubt this one will come with something a little extra special. You see, his son will be there.

No phone call necessary after this game. Brooks can tell his son he loves him face-to-face.

That beats any touchdown catch.

“I know I have to sacrifice now so he can have a better future later,” Brooks said. “I’m just trying to be the best role model and father that I can possibly be.”

Journal Star There's a picture of him and his son if you click the link...