I decided to reinstall Windows XP (Home edition) because my computer has been running slow lately. Anyways, the sound will not work. When I try to play a CD, it says I do not have an audio device installed on my computer. Do I need to download some kind of software from Microsoft to make my audio work?

Most likely the audio driver needs to be installed. Is your sound from an on-board chip or from a sound card? If the former, go to the computer manufacturer's web site and see if they have a driver for your specific model of computer and install it. If the later, go to the sound card manufacturer's web site and download and install the driver for the specific sound card you have.

My guess is that you have either a sound chip (built into the motherboard) or else an OEM version of a sound card - not a sound card as you would buy at retail. In those two cases, the driver is probably not on Microsoft's web site or included in the drivers CAB in Windows. You should be able to get the driver from the computer manufacturer. In fact, check and see if you have a drivers disk that came with the computer - if so, odds are it has the driver.