Tom Shatel's blog

Tom's takes

HYPE, NOT HOPE

I'm not saying Ndamukong Suh lost the Heisman Trophy on Saturday, because I never really thought he would win it. But Saturday's loss was a big hit to the Suh-for-Heisman campaign. He may fall off some of those national Heisman polls, and he probably played pretty well on Saturday. But defensive tackles can control only so much. Ironically, Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy didn't look great in victory. But victory is the main thing in being a Heisman candidate. Especially a defensive tackle.

MISTER, MISTER

Mike Patrick and Craig James were good enough on the broadcast, but they didn't know a lot about Bo Pelini's program or the personnel. And their insistence on calling Suh “Mr. Suh'' every time he was in on a play was annoying as heck. Learn how to pronounce the man's first name.

BO DAZE

I saw Bo Pelini's press conference live on TV after the game. Pelini gave the impression that he was absolutely stunned by his team's performance and lack of fire and execution. That's not a good sign. But it's the sign of a young head coach and an immature program that are still learning how to win and how to handle a win.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091017/BIGR...79691/-1/BIGRED