Oklahoma at #5 Nebraska, Saturday 10/24/2009

Oklahoma (13-6 overall, 6-4 conference) at #5 Nebraska (14-5, 7-3)

When: Saturday, October 24th, 7:00pm CT

Where: NU Coliseum, Lincoln, Nebraska

TV: None

Video Webcast: CLICK HERE

Audio Webcast: CLICK HERE

Gametracker: CLICK HERE

After an disappointing five set loss to Iowa State, Nebraska tries to bounce back against an Oklahoma squad that also took them to a fifth set in a Husker victory in Norman on September 30th--a match marred by poor fan behavior by the Sooner women's basketball team in attendance which reportedly led to the removal of the match refs from the Big 12 roster of officials. Expect the Coliseum to be extra loud on Saturday in return.

The Sooners come off of a sweep of #21 Texas A&M on Wednesday in College Station; Oklahoma is capable of playing some very fine volleyball and will be looking to make a statement to help their chances of getting into the NCAA Tournament. A win over Nebraska would go a long way to help their cause.

Oklahoma sophomore setter Brianne Barker is only 5-9 but is one of the best setters in the conference and was named to the All Big 12 Freshman team last year, setting a school record with 1035 assists for the season.

Coach John Cook

Opening Statement

“The first thing I was real worried tonight about our crowd and our team’s mental state based on two things. Based on our serve and pass today, and I still thought we were hung over from Iowa State and then the football game today. It’s amazing the impact that has on our team and all of us. I really liked, even though we didn’t play our best volleyball tonight, was that we didn’t mentally take ourselves out of it so I think that’s a really big step for this team. I think Tara (Mueller) would be the best example tonight. She was really struggling, except she gets four aces and she got a couple of big kills in game four. Brooke (Delano) started off struggling. Her offensive stats weren’t that good, but then you look and she had seven blocks. Even though we weren’t clicking on all cylinders tonight, they mentally stayed with it tonight. I think that’s a really big step.”

On going into game four

“I love how they responded in game four. I loved how Tara didn’t get down and she had sparkle in her eyes and was ready to compete. Same with Lindsey Licht, they didn’t let errors or plays affect them. It was a huge step for these guys. “

On Oklahoma

“Oklahoma is twice as good as when we played them down there. They’re like a different team than what we saw down there. They’re serving better, they’re passing better, so I think it was a very important win for us and just look at what Oklahoma has done the last four matches. This is a team that is a scary team to play.”

Lindsey Licht

On tonight’s match

“It means that we do know how to play Nebraska volleyball. We can come back from a tough loss. We can just come out here and do what we do best and that’s just to play volleyball.”

On preparing for tonight’s match

“We had a team meeting Thursday about what can we do better and it just came down to little things. We had a great practice Thursday, a great practice Friday, and I think that really set us up for success. Even though we lost the third set, we were able to come out that fourth set and just take over.”

On NU’s mentality between the third and fourth sets

“There’s not much you can say, not much you can do, in that short of amount of time. Clear your minds and come out strong that next game.”

Hannah Werth

On coming into her own as a player

“I feel very strongly that the game knows no age. Not just personally, but for anybody, any sport. I love playing volleyball. I feel like the luckiest kid alive to get to come into the gym every day and get to do this. Just go hit the ball, that’s it, that’s all I say to myself. That’s it.”

On the difference between the third and fourth game

“We let up definitely in that third game. I could feel it. Everybody just kind of stepped out of their zone. But we learned from it and I think that’s something great that this team does. We try not to make the same mistake twice. So we came out in the fourth game and did a great job.”