NCAA Tournament, Regional Finals: Texas vs. Nebraska

2 Texas (27-1) vs. 10 Nebraska (26-6)

When: Saturday, December 12th, 8pm CT

Where: Qwest Center, Omaha, Nebraska

TV: ESPNU

Video: No official webcast

Audio: CLICK HERE

Gametracker: CLICK HERE

Both teams advanced to the Regional Finals with dominating wins over their semifinal opponents: Texas over Texas A&M and Nebraska over Iowa State. Nebraska and Texas have played twice this season, with Texas winning both matches (3-1 in Lincoln on September 26th and 3-0 in Austin on October 30th). Nebraska has a record of 15-2 in the Qwest Center, including a 10-1 mark against top 10 teams.

Win or lose, this will be Kori Cooper's last match in the state of Nebraska after a great career with the Huskers.

Texas has been dominant this season, with their lone loss coming in 5 sets against Iowa State in Ames in November. Since that loss, the Longhorns have changed their offense to a 6-2 with Michelle Kocher and Ashley Engle sharing time at setter. Nebraska has only seen Texas in a 5-1 this season with Engle setting full-time, so this will be a different Texas offense with more hitting options that will put pressure on Nebraska's middles. If Destinee Hooker--a legitimate National Player of the Year candidate--is swinging against a single block, Texas will make quick work of Nebraska. Hooker is virtually unblockable when she hits at the peak of her jump, and she has improved her secondary shots so the Huskers will need to watch for the surprise dump.

Many of the Huskers' woes from earlier in the season have been resolved. Nebraska setter Sydney Anderson has been particularly outstanding lately and will be key tonight if the Huskers hope to pull off the upset. Tara Mueller will need to be more effective in her attacks than she was last night against Iowa State and Hannah Werth will need to have a big match. Anderson has been good in finding ways to win even when a key player is having an off-night, but tonight, there can be no off-nights. Nebraska will have to play their best and most complete game of the season to get to the Final Four. Their best hope lies in Nebraska's ability to exploit one of the only noticeable Longhorn weaknesses: occasional struggles in the passing game. If Nebraska can get Texas out of system or reduce the number of options for the setter, they will have a chance to win this match. Otherwise, look for Texas to advance to the Final Four and the seemingly inevitable showdown with the other powerhouse team this season: Penn State.

Well, the Huskers were able to exploit the Longhorns' passing weakness in the first set, but in spite of their mediocre passing, ultimately Texas had too much firepower with their hitters. It looked more like the national semifinal match it should have been than a regional final.

Kori Cooper played her final match in a Husker uniform. It sounds like the fans sent her out in style. She will be missed.

It's always disappointing when the season ends on a loss but that happens for 63 teams in the tournament and this was an unlikely year for the Huskers to go all the way. It was still a great year for Nebraska as some new players were worked into the lineup and chemistry had to be established. With the exception of Kori, everyone will be back next season, along with incoming freshman Morgan Broekhuis who I think will see immediate playing time. Next year looks very promising.

Texas Head Coach Jerritt Elliot

Opening Statement

"I thought it was a very emotional win for our team and our program. First of all, thanks to Nebraska for hosting such a great event. They do it right, their fans are great and supportive, John and his staff and this program. Their team got a lot better. They started off and struggled at the beginning of the year, but they did a tremendous job and kept sticking with them. Hats off to them. I am extremely pleased for our team and our program. We came out a little bit shaky and made some uncharacteristic errors early in game one. (We) never gave up, we showed a lot of mental toughness, and we battled from every aspect. You want the season to go on. I've coached a lot of matches, this might be the biggest one I've ever had in regards to how special it is to me to continue the journey with this senior class. I am extremely proud to represent the Big 12 at the next step. We're excited."

On surviving the initial emotional rush of Nebraska

"We knew a year or so ago that we weren't hosting a regional. When we saw that, Nebraska was the one site I said I did not want to go to. Fate has it that we ended up here. We had so much support from our administration to allow us to travel the way we did and play in so many big venues. We went up to Hawaii and played at their venue. We played in front of a big crowd at Iowa State and Nebraska and Long Beach State. We played some really big matches to try to prepare us for what it is going to be like to be on the road for a long time. It was a very grueling schedule this year for us. We've been on the road more often than not. We needed that mental toughness. That loss to Iowa State, experiencing the first time we played at Nebraska at the Coliseum we didn't play well, we didn't adjust well, but we responded in the locker room. Tonight was about mental toughness and holding down the fort. We talked about circling the wagons because it was going to be us on the bench with the fans that they had. We were going to have to be mentally tough. I challenged them that they would have to be the best they've been mentally all year long, maybe ever as an athlete. They responded and stuck together. They could have folded early. They kind of battled back in game one and gave us that opportunity to build that confidence."

On persevering through the match

"We made some adjustments. I thought our team did an incredible job of making adjustments in those areas. Our passers did a phenomenal job tonight. We passed extremely well. I thought the big key, Nebraska has been hot. They won ten in a row without losing a set. I thought if we got to the second game they would start questioning themselves a little bit. We just got a great performance from everyone, emotionally, competitively, composure wise."

Destinee Hooker

On being able to get the two wins in Omaha

"It means I have another week with my team. I am really excited to have another week with this group of girls. This is a great accomplishment for our program, like Coach said, and I am looking forward to this week. We worked really hard for it."

Juliann Faucette

On what they did after the first set

"I think we just started to gain composure and confidence in our passing and rhythm. I think setting wise we were a little off, some calls here and there. I thought we found our rhythm and that was really important in the second set."

Nebraska Head Coach John Cook

Opening Statement

"First of all, I want to thank Husker Nation for coming out and making this the best regional in the country. The crowd was great and they were trying to will us to win this match, and we could feel it. It was awesome. Their appreciation for the team at the end and for Kori (Cooper) was something that I think Kori is going to remember forever and be telling her grandkids. That was pretty special. I thought Texas played great. Their big-time players stepped up. Destinee (Hooker) had a great match. They (Texas) won the serve and pass battle, and we had to win that to compete and have a chance to win. They won it tonight. I think that was the biggest difference in the match."

On if NU's team maxed out their talent

"I don't think we let one get away tonight. If you look at where this team was in September to winning 31 sets in a row starting in the month of November - we had been playing great. This team has improved more than any team we've had at Nebraska. They've done everything we've asked. They've improved. We got to a regional final. That's a very experienced team, and they played better than us tonight. We don't feel like we played our best, and I'm sure the girls will say that, but you have to give some credit to Texas for taking that and putting the pressure on us."

On Destinee Hooker and how Texas will do in the Final Four

"I think they'll play Penn State in the finals and I think it's going to be a great match to see (Megan) Hodge and (Destinee) Hooker try to outdo each other, so I think it's going to be a great match. It's probably going to come down to serving and passing in that match as well. I thought we did some good things on her tonight. We slowed her down, we got some touches and we dug her. Our game plan was good against her, but she hurt us with her jump serve. They move her around so it makes her hard to defend. She's a special player and she's a senior, and we'll see if she can get it done and win a national championship."

On next season

"Even though we lost this match tonight, this team just got better because now, our team and our younger players - we have five freshmen - now have a better understanding of what it's going to take to win a regional final and the things that we have to get better at. Of any team that lost tonight, we were probably the one team that got better. We will take that into next year. I've seen this happen before after a loss like this. Your team just takes another step forward. Now they've gone through this and it's inside of them how hard they need to work and how bad they're going to want it. It doesn't feel good. We will be a better team Monday, if we could practice, than we were today."

Setter Sydney Anderson

On gaining momentum at the end of the season and looking forward to next year

"That's huge. This team is really excited. We're starting today for next year. We all hate this feeling, so we don't want to feel it again. Look at where we were in September and look at us now. This whole season is the max out. We've gotten better, and we're still going to get better. I am so proud of this team."

On Kori Cooper

"You can't replace Kori. She's been a great captain, great friend and a great leader. She brings fire, she bring belief, into those that don't. She brings hope. If you look at what she's gone through these four years - two torn ACLs, two surgeries - and she's bounced back and she's been amazing."

Middle Blocker Kori Cooper

On NU's fight throughout the season

"This team has been on an incredible journey and if any of the members from this team take one thing from me, it's that I want them to realize it's about the journey and not about the end result. I think if this season teaches us anything, I hope that it teaches us that. I'm proud of this team, I'm proud to be apart of this team, and I know they're going to do great things."

On ending her career in Nebraska

"This is the best crowd in college volleyball for me and for the rest of the people on this team. We couldn't ask for a better following. It was very special. I feel like I'm the luckiest senior in the country, regardless of how this season ended. I wouldn't change a thing about playing for this crowd and about playing for this program."