Jessica Yanz ending her volleyball career

Lincoln – University of Nebraska volleyball coach John Cook announced Wednesday that Jessica Yanz has decided to forego her final season playing volleyball in the Husker program. Yanz, a fourth-year junior, will graduate this May from Nebraska with a degree in business administration.

“This has been a very difficult decision for me, but one that my parents and I believe to be in my best interest,” Yanz said. “It was an honor to play for a program as prestigious as Nebraska in front of the greatest fans in college volleyball. To my teammates, coaches, support staff, and fans alike, thank you for everything you have done for me over the past two years. My time here at Nebraska will never be forgotten.”

Cook appreciates the contributions that Yanz has made at Nebraska in helping the Huskers to a 57-10 mark, a Big 12 title and an NCAA semifinals appearance since joining the Husker program.

“Jess has given a lot to our program over the last two years,” Cook said. “She has earned the respect of her teammates and our staff with her work ethic in the gym and how she has supported her teammates. We wish her nothing but success in the future.”

After transferring from Penn State in 2008, Yanz appeared in 10 matches for the Huskers this season, totaling 25 assists and 13 digs while backing up All-American Sydney Anderson. She totaled season highs in both assists (17) and digs (seven) against UL-Lafayette and helped Nebraska to a 26-7 record and a sixth straight NCAA Regional finals appearance in 2009.

LINK

Jessica transferred from Penn State, where she was behind an All-American setter (Alisha Glass), to Nebraska, where she ended up behind another All-American (Sydney Anderson). She would have been a starter at almost any other D1 school.

Nebraska signed two players in the incoming class (both with setting experience) but only loses one player to graduation (Kori Cooper), so the scholarship count dictated that someone was leaving (or would be asked to walk on). I had a feeling it would be Jessica. After years and years of club ball and countless hours practicing in the gym, it's always a sad moment when your college career comes to an end. Good luck to her in the future!

I took this photo after the match in Austin; she helped make an aspiring player happy:

343rlli.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well, apparently she isn't done with volleyball...the NCAA granted her a waiver on the immediate eligibility rule and she will be playing for the University of Dayton this fall. She'll be back in Lincoln on September 9th playing against the Huskers in the Ameritas Players Challenge.

Dayton has a lot of setters on the roster, kind of interesting.