Pork Roast

Roxy

I really like making this. I made it last night and it was so tender, that we didn't need a knife to cut it.

The secret to making a tender beef roast or pork roast, is to cook it at 230 degrees all day. I put the roast in probably around 8 a.m. and we ate at 8 p.m. or so. We could of had it earlier..but, we were watching a football game. I knew that by baking it at 230 degrees, it wasn't going to hurt it any.

I have a roasting pan that has a removable rack, but, I keep the rack in it when I make this. I poured some water in the bottom of the roasting pan. Sliced up some onions and put some garlic in the roasting pan to give the broth some flavor. I rubbed the top of the pork roast with some Olive Oil and seasoned it with Garlic Salt and Pepper. I put some onions and garlic on the roast.

I used 1 pkg. of Onion Soup Mix and rubbed that in real good over the pork roast. Onion and Mushroom Soup Mix would be good to use too.

If I would of had some sliced carrots and sliced fresh mushrooms, I would of put that in the bottom of the roasting pan, but, didn't have any.

If I am making mashed potatoes, I don't put potatoes in it because it makes the mashed potatoes brown. I cook the potatoes seperately when I make mashed potatoes when making a roast.

This gravy recipe is the only recipe I will use when making broth gravy, it is delicious!

Strain the broth to get out the garlic and onions.

Broth Gravy:

**Double it if you need more gravy, but, this makes quite a bit.

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup flour

4 cups degreased pork broth from the roasting pan

1/3 cup Heavy Cream

Salt and Pepper to taste

Making the Roux:

Cut 1/2 cup-(8-T.) of butter into chunks and add it a medium-size heavy saucepan.

On low to medium low temperature, melt the butter until it is foamy.

Add 1/2 cup of flour to the pan.

Start whisking the flour until well blended.

Keep whisking and cooking over very low heat until it smells like a pie is cooking in the oven.

That means that he flour is cooked and gravy will not end up having a "pasty" flavor to it.

This could take anywhere from 8-12 minutes to get cooked.

At about 12 minutes, add 1/3 cup Half-and-Half. This adds a rich flavor and texture to the gravy. ***I didn't have Half-and-Half, so I used milk. I go by looks when making gravy, so add more if you need to. Keep whisking!

Within 2 minutes of adding the Half-and-Half, the gravy is perfect!

Add salt and pepper and Kitchen Bouqet to gravy.