Autograph sesson brings former Huskers together

Nexus

Tucked in a corner lot, under the 10th street pedestrian bridge, Nebraska history sparkled in the sun Saturday morning before the annual Red-White game.

Lines of more than 100 fans formed to get autographs from the 30 Husker heroes of the past: Jay Foreman, Dion Booker, Eric Warfield, Sheldon Jackson and Russ Hochstein. And the not-so-distant-past: Demoine Adams, Cody Glenn and Fabian Washington.

“I’m amazed and yet, I know it’s going to be like this forever,” said former Husker Steve Warren, who organized the autograph session and a weekend of fundraising activities for his charities to help kids.

“Nebraska fans are better than any fans anywhere, and I played in the NFL in Green Bay,” he said. “Even after those down years, they still remember the great years when we won three titles in five years and can see we’re on the way to winning more, now.”

Milt Tenopir, former Nebraska offensive line coach and “Pipeline Builder,” according to Hochstein, said he appreciates the functions for the fans and fundraising.

“These functions are fun and make me feel like I’m talking to the guys I coached on a daily basis,” Tenopir said. “We’re all family. Once a Husker, always a Husker.”

Tenopir reminded that he coached the White team to two upset victories in the Spring Game series.

“One came when Turner Gill was a … freshman and we beat the Red team so much that Lance Van Zandt, coach of the Red (and NU defensive coordinator) would talk to the staff for two weeks.”

Former Nebraska tailback Correll Buckhalter, one of the former Huskers still playing in the NFL, said he never liked the Spring Game.

“I just wanted to play the real thing, but we tried to have a good time,” he said. Buckhalter and Hochstein are teammates on the Denver Broncos now.

LINK