Kinnie's memorable TD highlights growing receiver competition

Nexus

The strength and confidence that Ted Gilmore had seen from Brandon Kinnie throughout spring practices came to the forefront in Saturday’s Spring Game.

Why else do you think that pile kept grinding toward the end zone?

“I was like, ‘Whatever, man.’ If it’s going to keep going, I’m going,” Kinnie said.

And going and going. …

Kinnie never stopped until he crossed the goal line, finishing his memorable 36-yard touchdown catch from Red team quarterback Taylor Martinez in the second quarter. He caught a strike from Martinez over the middle, and when Kinnie was hit near the 10-yard line, he started collecting defenders.

The pile grew. Action slowed. The play appeared finished.

Kinnie was not.

“I caught the ball, and I just kept going, and then I was chilling, I guess,” Kinnie said. “And then I kept feeling the push, and I just kept going. I just kept hearing everybody getting louder, and I just kept on going.”

That extra weight on the 6-foot-3 Kinnie came in handy.

“He’s a strong guy,” Gilmore said. “He’s 230 pounds now, and I told him if he’s not careful, we’re going to move him to tight end.

“That strength kind of helped him on that particular play, so I was proud of him.”

It was the only reception for Kinnie, a junior wide receiver who didn’t have the benefit of spring practice last season, when he transferred from junior college with three years of eligibility.

“Like I said, I was still learning fundamentals of the game, learning how to be a wide receiver,” Kinnie said.

What’s Gilmore seen in that regard?

“He’s got more confidence,” he said. “He’s got confidence in the classroom. He knows what he’s doing, and he’s not intimidated by that. He’s playing a lot faster. We’ve still got to, techniquewise, get a little bit better in route running. But he’s working on it. I like his attitude.”

Gilmore likes the growing competition between Kinnie and senior Niles Paul, who had a game-high five receptions for 103 yards.

“Him and Niles, they kind of have a thing going right now,” Gilmore said. “They’re trying to outdo one another, which is a healthy thing.”

The competition this fall figures to include Will Henry, too. He’s a senior with only one career catch, but he had two receptions Saturday – including a 72-yard touchdown pass from Cody Green.

“He’s in the hunt right now,” Gilmore said. “I think a lot of it has to do with what we’re doing offensively, what the personnel is. Based on what he did this spring, I wouldn’t have any hesitation putting Will in the ballgame.”

The 6-foot-5, 215-pound Henry is running better routes, Gilmore said, and has better body control.

“It seems like it took me four years to ‘get it,’” Henry said. “But after just hard work and trust in God … it’s just starting to come on.

“I’m not worrying about stuff. I’m just working hard, and when you work hard, everything will take care of itself.”

Senior Mike McNeill, who’s moved from tight end and practiced this spring with the wide receivers, had one catch Saturday.

McNeill said he’s enjoyed the transition. He’s comfortable being split out wide, likes working in space more often and said he’s able to be more creative with his routes.

“Mike’s doing well,” Gilmore said. “He’s still, I don’t think, used to all the running we do. That’s challenging him a little bit. But he’s such an intelligent football player. He’s such a heady guy. He’s been great for the room, his experience, and his approach to how he goes about his business.”

LINK