Former Nebraska Players in the CFL

I just signed up here yesterday....a nice board you guys have going here! I will be coming down to watch my first Husker game in a couple weeks and am looking forward to it!

I am from Edmonton, Alberta where we have a CFL team called the Edmonton Eskimos. Just thought you may be interested in the progress of two former Huskers in Patrick Kabongo and Keyou Craver.

Both are on our team at the moment. Kabongo has made a transition to play on the OLine. In less then a year he has gone from a Practice Roster Dlineman to starting on the Oline.....The guy is a monster!!!

Craver has played a couple of games but hasnt been given much of an opportunity to show what he can bring to the table. Looks like the guy has all the tools to be able to play in the league up here.

Any information/scouting reports on these guys from people who watched them play in college?

Thanks a bunch, I look forward to contributing where I can....

I just signed up here yesterday....a nice board you guys have going here! I will be coming down to watch my first Husker game in a couple weeks and am looking forward to it!

I am from Edmonton, Alberta where we have a CFL team called the Edmonton Eskimos. Just thought you may be interested in the progress of two former Huskers in Patrick Kabongo and Keyou Craver.

Both are on our team at the moment. Kabongo has made a transition to play on the OLine. In less then a year he has gone from a Practice Roster Dlineman to starting on the Oline.....The guy is a monster!!!

Craver has played a couple of games but hasnt been given much of an opportunity to show what he can bring to the table. Looks like the guy has all the tools to be able to play in the league up here.

Any information/scouting reports on these guys from people who watched them play in college?

Do they drug test in the CFL? Because Craver's been known to smoke the hippie lettuce. I think he actually failed two drug tests when he was with the Saints.

Both are on our team at the moment. Kabongo has made a transition to play on the OLine. In less then a year he has gone from a Practice Roster Dlineman to starting on the Oline.....The guy is  a monster!!!

Do they drug test in the CFL? Because Craver's been known to smoke the hippie lettuce. I think he actually failed two drug tests when he was with the Saints.

Nope.....no drug testing in the CFL......

And I had heard that as well.......Oh well the kid has talent that is for sure.....

I thought the same thing about Craver, Cub! I thought the CFL had drug tests but if they don't- then its a perfect place for Keyuo!

He was suspended at least 2 if not three times for lighting up while with the Saints.

Kabongo is a monster and he's fun to watch even if he's just standing there. obviously he has great size but was very raw when he was here. if i recall, he hadn't played football that long before he came to the Huskers.

I WAS rooting for the Als since they signed Barron Miles but he's now with BC, and the Alouettes apparently cut Dave Volk a while back, so I won't be rooting for them anymore. <_<

The Esks are a good team to root for though (in terms of former Huskers). 2 Huskers last year (Demoine Adams and Kabongo) and 2 again this year (Kabongo/Craver). :thumbs

BTW, another former Husker in the CFL is Chuck Tack (Who?!). He's a kicker on the practice squad for the Hamilton Ti-Cats:

http://www.ticats.ca/index.php?module=Rost...display&tid=130

A few websites found on Google contradict with most of the profile linked above. For one, it says he "Spent two seasons (1997-98) with the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers"... but the only thing i could find on him said he was a walkon in 1998 and 1999. He never earned a letter but i did come across a spring game roster that had him listed.

"graduated from Nebraska with a degree in civil engineering"

A UNO related site said he graduated from there with a degre in civil eng. though he apparently never played football for the Mavs.

who knows which is accurate??-- anyone even remember this guy?!

Anyone know about the indoor leagues?

AFL (could definately change before next season)

--Steve Warren, FB/LB, San Jose SaberCats

the 300+ pounder was used quite a bit as a fullback last season. scored a few Refridgerator-Perry-esque touchdowns last season.

--Dan Alexander, FB/LB, Nashville Kats

was cut in early April, even though he was in the top 3 in AFL rushing. Wasn't re-signed again until late May. but despite being teamless for much of the season he was still voted onto the AFL Rookie team.

--David White, FB/LB - Tampa Bay Storm (maybe a free agent this offseason?)

--Wilson Thomas, WR/LB, Arizona Rattlers

he played last year but was only with the team for a short time before being released in March.

AF2 (as of 2005)

--Daren Williams, FB/LB, Green Bay Blizzard

--Dan Vili Waldrop, OL/DL, Bakersfield Blitz

NIFL (Lincoln Capitols)

a couple of these names I don't recognize but the Cap's website says they went to NU

--Derek Brown, Kareem Sears, Chris Loos, Garth Glissman, Phil Kniep, Seth Rexilious

UIF

--Damien Baumen, Omaha Beef

--Dwayne Harris, Omaha Beef

--Ted Retzlaff, Omaha Beef

--Larry Henderson, Peoria Rough Riders - played in 2005 but he was not on their roster later in the season

--Thunder Collins, Peoria Rough Riders - was said to have signed with an unamed NFL team but that apparently never materialized. one wonders if it was even true to begin with...??

non indoor but yet another football league out there:

NAFL (players play w/out payment i think)

even if these teams do have websites many of them don't post their rosters. the only name of note that I've come across from this last year was that of Octavious McFarlin who played with a club called the Kansas City Shockers.

a few others i could find, going back to 2003: http://www.geocities.com/nflhuskers/otherl...ues/olnafl.html

Anyone know about the indoor leagues?

AFL (could definately change before next season)

--Steve Warren, FB/LB, San Jose SaberCats

the 300+ pounder was used quite a bit as a fullback last season. scored a few Refridgerator-Perry-esque touchdowns last season.

--Dan Alexander, FB/LB, Nashville Kats

was cut in early April, even though he was in the top 3 in AFL rushing. Wasn't re-signed again until late May. but despite being teamless for much of the season he was still voted onto the AFL Rookie team.

--David White, FB/LB - Tampa Bay Storm (maybe a free agent this offseason?)

--Wilson Thomas, WR/LB, Arizona Rattlers

he played last year but was only with the team for a short time before being released in March.

AF2 (as of 2005)

--Daren Williams, FB/LB, Green Bay Blizzard

--Dan Vili Waldrop, OL/DL, Bakersfield Blitz

NIFL (Lincoln Capitols)

a couple of these names I don't recognize but the Cap's website says they went to NU

--Derek Brown, Kareem Sears, Chris Loos, Garth Glissman, Phil Kniep, Seth Rexilious

UIF

--Damien Baumen, Omaha Beef

--Dwayne Harris, Omaha Beef

--Ted Retzlaff, Omaha Beef

--Larry Henderson, Peoria Rough Riders - played in 2005 but he was not on their roster later in the season

--Thunder Collins, Peoria Rough Riders - was said to have signed with an unamed NFL team but that apparently never materialized. one wonders if it was even true to begin with...??

non indoor but yet another football league out there:

NAFL (players play w/out payment i think)

even if these teams do have websites many of them don't post their rosters. the only name of note that I've come across from this last year was that of Octavious McFarlin who played with a club called the Kansas City Shockers.

a few others i could find, going back to 2003: http://www.geocities.com/nflhuskers/otherl...ues/olnafl.html

Some of the players in the NAFL never played football at NU. A couple ran track and one played basketball. Makes you wonder about the talent in that league.

Nevertheless good for all them and i wish em the best of luck.

they were tracksters and backups (if that), etc but IMO its kind of unfair to question the "talent" in the league since these guys play for fun- not payment. Sort of like a backyard football league only with a little better athletes.

FWIW, here's another NAFL player some of us should recognize:

Jonathan Beasley, QB, Wichita Aviators.

http://www.aviatorsfootball.com/roster.html

i would have thought he'd at least be with an AF2 or an NIFL team or something.

I forgot the Esks own the rights to Diedrick. thanks for bringing that up! it seems like he's never really shown interest in going to the CFL though. which is somewhat odd considering a) he's a fringe NFL player anyway, and B) He's Canadian! then he could sign as a non-import, right?

I think he'd be great up there but if he's content with being a practice squad player in the NFL then, then more power to him.

Crouch's CFL rights are "owned" by Toronto, who want him as a QB. but according to one article he said he'd be willing to play in the CFL- if they'd have him play Safety. :blink:

Diedrick would be a huge asset for a CFL Team, especially if he can start at RB. Good Canadian players are traditionally the hghest paid as they make it possible to have another talented American player in the lineup.....(Not that anyone of the guys on the Esks couldnt kick my A in football...)

Will be interesting to see what happens if he is cut.....

• 2 weeks later...

From The Edmonton Sun:

Dahrran Diedrick's situation is another factor in the roster equation for this week. The Canadian running back with an impressive resume from the University of Nebraska will be part of the Eskimo practice today for the first time.

He could be activated for Sunday, but if he is on the roster, he won't be the starting running back.

The game will be on Altitude Network, so now I have another reason to watch the Esks. :thumbs

FWIW, I believe Altitude is available at least to satellite subscribers in Nebraska if anyone else might want to tune in: http://altitude.tv/whatsOn.aspx?day=9/18/2005