Bittersweet Day

I'm still trying to take this all in.....we are moving to the Big Ten! I guess I'm just being a sentimental woman, but in a way I feel sad. I'm 53 years old and have been a Husker fan since I was about 8 years old. Just been thinking about the old days.....The Big 8, Bob Devaney, Lyle Bremser, the traditions, the rivalries. I survived the Big XII so I guess I'll survive this, right? This is supposed to be better for us, and if Tom Osborne says it's so....then I believe him! But change is good they say! Living here in Ohio now, I will be "part" of them. I'm not concerned about the competition....I think that will be no problem. And I guess my new rival will be Ohio State! (I've already told my boss we will have to call a truce next year.....he teases me every day about being from Nebraska!) With this being said.......Go Big Red!

I'm a bit sad as well, but it isn't difficult to look forward. The rivalry with Oklahoma is gone. Colorado already bolted. It's a stretch to call anyone else a rival. It just feels like the Big 8 is long gone. Iowa and Wisconsin are long overdue rivals. I think this is a perfect fit.

As a life-long Sooner fan, I'm kinda bummed on the fact that we won't be in the same conference with Nebraska, too. Have always had the greatest respect for NU and their fans, and the decades long rivalry between our respective schools. This all seemed to come out of nowhere, and events are moving so fast.

I am excited for OU's future in the Pac 16 (?), if that's where we ultimately end up. And I won't be sad to see the Big XII go. I also agree with the statements made today that Nebraska is probably a "better fit" for the culture of the Big Ten, just as I think OU & Texas are probably a "better fit" for the teams in the currently composed Pac 10. But it's a bittersweet, as you say, moment for a lot of us who remember the Big Eight, and all those great games in both Norman & Lincoln.