THE decision to move to the Big 10

DelK

One of the most fascinating features of the process is that the Big 10 CEOs must have relied very, very heavily on Jim Delaney's analysis of whether Nebraska and their organization would fit. That shows an amazing amount of trust in the guy. WOW!

Another little feature is the fear Mr. Pearlman experienced about being "left out" when the Big 12 disintegrated. Seems probable to me that there would have been at least a couple of options for Nebraska with it's brand when the Conference went south.

No doubt Delany had a large role, but Nebraska wasn't exactly an unknown commodity to the other Big 10 schools. I'm sure they pretty much knew what they were getting, and have probably had an idea in mind for years of which schools they would consider inviting, and which they wouldn't. What I give Delany a lot of credit for is the timing for it all to come together when Beebe held Dodds' gun to our heads.

I'm sure there would have been other options for Nebraska, but would any of them been anywhere near as attractive as the Big 10? What options do you see as being probable?

No doubt Delany had a large role, but Nebraska wasn't exactly an unknown commodity to the other Big 10 schools. I'm sure they pretty much knew what they were getting, and have probably had an idea in mind for years of which schools they would consider inviting, and which they wouldn't. What I give Delany a lot of credit for is the timing for it all to come together when Beebe held Dodds' gun to our heads.

I'm sure there would have been other options for Nebraska, but would any of them been anywhere near as attractive as the Big 10? What options do you see as being probable?

Very good points and you are right, I see no other options, but we also don't know what the conference landscape might have looked like had, for instance, Texas got more money from the Pac Ten than they think they'll get where they are. I guess I'd rely on someone somewhere offering a good home to a high quality product such as Nebraska. So, it's a jungle out there?