#7 Nebraska vs. Idaho State, Saturday 9/4/2010

#7 Nebraska (4-1 overall, 0-0 Big 12) vs. Idaho State (4-1, 0-0 Big Sky Conference)

BYU Nike Invitational

When: Saturday, September 4th, 6pm CT

Where: Smith Fieldhouse, Provo, Utah

TV: NONE

Video Webcast: NONE

Audio Webcast: CLICK HERE

Live Stats: CLICK HERE

Idaho State started the season with four straight victories for the first time in 15 years, but lost to BYU earlier today in a thriller of a match. After losing the first two sets 24-26 and 22-25, the Bengals evened things up by winning the next two 26-24 and 25-20, only to lose a hard-fought fifth set to BYU by a score of 15-17. Haylee Thompson-Brock had 23 kills. I knew nothing about Idaho State before today, but they earned my respect.

The Bengals will have to put the emotional loss behind them quickly to rebound for this evening's match against the Huskers. They may have left everything on the court this morning, though.

Idaho State had a record of 13-15 in 2009 and finished fifth in the Big Sky conference.

ISUVolleyballTeamPhoto2009Web.jpg

I was jumping back and forth between the audio feeds for this match and the football game.

Wilberger started in place of McNeal and Mancuso started in place of Mueller. Wilberger hit .625 with a career high 11 kills. She has earned a chance to be a starter IMHO. McNeal is light years ahead of where she was at this time last year but Wilberger is solid and dependable. Mancuso hit .368 with 10 kills. I've wanted to see Mancuso start in place of Mueller and she did a respectable job. Lauren Cook set to Gina for a few years in club so it should be an effective pairing. Mancuso and Mueller may continue to split time through the preseason, it could be a real battle for the starting role.

Sydney Anderson and Hannah Werth were named to the All-Tournament team, and Kayla Banwarth was named tournament MVP. Very nice to see a libero get that award. Way to go, Kayla!

The competition will get tougher in Lincoln this weekend, with matches against Dayton, a decent Western Michigan squad, and Illinois (who just swept Texas in Austin on Friday). It will be a great weekend of volleyball.