Upcoming Opponent Analysis

BigRedJake

Every one of our upcoming opponents played this week except Texas Tech and they went 6-3. The way I see it, 4 of the teams played non-cupcake schools. Pitt played Notre Dame, Wake played Vanderbuilt, OU played TCU and Colorado played CSU. ISU, Baylor, Mizzou, Kansas and Kansas State took it easy against Illinois State, SMU, Arkansas State, FAU and FIU respectively.

Teams playing non-cupcake schools went 1-3, averaged 356 yards, gave up 404 and turned the ball over 2.5 times per game while teams playing cupcakes went 4-0, averaged 453 yards, gave up 303 and turned the ball over 2.8 times per game.

The highest rushing team was Mizzou with 343 yards and the least was Oklahoma with 92. The highest rushing versus a quality team was Wake with 274.

The highest passing team was Iowa state and the least was again Oklahoma. Highest passing against a quality team was Colorado with 283.

The best defense was Kansas State, giving up 221 yards while the worst was Pitt with 508. The best against a quality team was Oklahoma with 296.

Our opponents outscored their opponents this week 251-212 and outgained them 3691 to 3135. They also got more first downs with 205 to 172. Against quality teams, they lost 82-111 and were outgained 1424 to 1617. Their opponents gained more first downs 99 to 76.

They won by an average 11.8 points per game and lost by an average of 10.7. Those against cupcakes won by an average of 13.6 points.

dOOd,

Great post. You should email those to BC for his pregame prep. Thoughts to ponder. I think GBR needs to be a little sharper than today. I think Maine threw our O for a loop because of the lack of blitzes. Hopefully, WF and Pitt wont change a thing. :) I think our D run will rule, where as our pass D will need to improve substantially. I'm not sure of the WF qb but the Pitt qb is pretty highly rated nationally even though he played fairly dismal against the BS's last year.

GBR :thumbs

dOOd,

Great post. You should email those to BC for his pregame prep. Thoughts to ponder. I think GBR needs to be a little sharper than today. I think Maine threw our O for a loop because of the lack of blitzes. Hopefully, WF and Pitt wont change a thing. :) I think our D run will rule, where as our pass D will need to improve substantially. I'm not sure of the WF qb but the Pitt qb is pretty highly rated nationally even though he played fairly dismal against the BS's last year.

GBR :thumbs

Tyler Palko is hugely overrated and Ben Mauk is hugely underrated. The thing is, Pitt's got no running game so Palko has to throw fro 300 yards in every single game, or there is no Pitt offense and Ben Mauk has Barclay and a whole stable of great runners to fall back on.

We'll be able to stop Barclay and his friends, and we'll make Mauk win through the air. And Palko has no choice but to win through the air. Both games will come down to how well our secondary plays.