Husker Z's Fake Blog Entry - UT Week

Husker Z

Okay, I do a fake blog for all my Husker friends every week, via email (I think I missed my calling), but I thought I would share my entry from this week. Surprising enough, I've been very accurate this year, let's hope it continues. Anyway, here is my fake blog entry this week.

Well, I am still trying to gather some information from some key sources, but I guess I can update later in the week, if necessary.

Okay, here goes. You guys know I’m a sunshine pumper from way back, but I’m really having a hard time this week. I don’t have a good feeling about this game at all and I can’t decide if it’s because I really believe UT is better than most expect or just the fact that it’s been since 1996 that we actually beat these fools. A 3-2 team with different emblems on their helmets and poor performances under their belt like UT has had and I’d be jumping up and down calling this a 42-10 route, BUT………

Muschamp will have a great scheme to slow down Magic, you can count on that. From what I understand, his goal is to keep him between the tackles, make him go up the middle and when he takes off, make him pay with big hits. While that sounds all well and good, what he, and most of our other opponents so far, don’t realize is how fast he really is. KSU had a similar plan, move the LBs out and take away the edge. Well, I pointed it out in my keys to the game last week and it held true, that leaves a BIG hole in the middle of the field. Normally, that’s okay, you have safety help, but Magic has shown that if he hits the LB level and there isn’t a LB within arms reach to at least slow him down, he will make the safeties pee their pants and the corners don’t have a shot with Kinne, Paul and McNeil sealing up the edge. So, you get a one on one with a safety, with Magic already at full speed. There isn’t a safety in the country that can shift direction and get the angle, it’s just not going to happen.

HOWEVER, I do believe that Magic will be at least slowed down in this game, it’ll take him some time to adjust to UT’s speed. But, that’s the trouble with facing our offense this year, you concentrate on taking out one weapon and there are 4 more that open up. If the D has to put at least one guy on Magic, you can count on Helu and Rex opening up and you are also going to get VERY favorable matchups with either safeties or a nickel/dime back on McNeil and Reed, which is always going to go in our favor.

What I ultimately think will happen in this game is we’ll see Magic taken away early and Watson going heavy with big sets and getting Helu and Burkhead going. BUT, I think what will open the game up and what will get Magic 80-90 yards in the end is the roll out passes where we’ll have levels to throw to, with the option of Martinez running the ball as well. We showed it a bit last week, but I think we’ll see a lot of it this week, either straight rollouts or bootlegs. The UT interior DL will be a handful and I don’t think we’ll be able to ask Magic to take a 5 step drop in the pocket and hit WR’s, that’s just not his strong suit and I’d be afraid of him locking on and throwing some picks on the edge. He’s just not used to the speed he’ll see Saturday.

It’s not going to be a high scoring game, I think it’ll be something like 14-10 at halftime, but I do feel like we will keep their offense off the field, they will not be able to have long drives on us, they just aren’t good enough on offense. I think our O will make enough plays early in the game and early in the second half to throw UT out of their plan and force Gilbert Grape to throw it. That plays right into our strength on D and we’ll end up grinding out a nail biting, hard fought win. Look for Compton to get back in the swing of things and David will have a HUGE game in the middle against their run heavy offense. This game will tell us a lot about our DL, which so far has been just “okay”. If they can hold their ground and not get shoved out of the hole, we’ll have a big day on D, if they get moved out consistently, we’ll be in for a dogfight.

My gut pick right now is:

NU 27 – Late FG after a UT turnover seals it.

UT 17

One thing you can bank on is, this will be the loudest this stadium has been in years, probably since the last time UT was in town, when NU came back to take the lead on Lucky’s halfback pass, then the snow started flying.

Oh, Terrance Nunn, where are you and your fumble fingers now……..

GO BIG RED!!!!

Not gonna lie. I couldnt help but feel sorry for Nunn. He took a pretty good hit after the catch. Not really his fault

Nope, not in the least bit his fault, great play by a great player. Also, Callahan took a lot of heat for going for it right there, but he made the right call, the play worked, the game was over. Again, great play by a great player, it happens.

S

Husker Z, I think your prediction is pretty accurate. Although I'd say the Dline has been better than "okay" and they're really gonna flex their muscle against an inferior Texas O-line, which has done a poor job of run blocking and pass protection so far this season. Along with a solid performance from our D-line, our secondary is gonna eat up Gilbert Grape. Oh and I'd also say Texas will probably have a few long drives, but will ultimately break to the Blackshirts' relentless aggression, especially if and when they enter the redzone. And that's what's gonna win us the game in the end.

Husker Z, I think your prediction is pretty accurate. Although I'd say the Dline has been better than "okay" and they're really gonna flex their muscle against an inferior Texas O-line, which has done a poor job of run blocking and pass protection so far this season. Along with a solid performance from our D-line, our secondary is gonna eat up Gilbert Grape. Oh and I'd also say Texas will probably have a few long drives, but will ultimately break to the Blackshirts' relentless aggression, especially if and when they enter the redzone. And that's what's gonna win us the game in the end.

That's what I love about our D, we may give up some short gains and some short drives, but if you are going to score on us, you are going to have to scratch and claw for every single point and earn them, you just don't gash our D with big plays. If you can consistently force an opponent into 3rd downs, you'll do fine, which is what we do.