Senior Night at College Station

ESPY

Being the inquisitive fellow I am, I felt compelled to check out what aTm media have to say about Saturday night's big matchup. Among several media located in and around College Station, I found this article by Robert Cessna and couldn't help but notice several similarities between what the current Aggie players have gone through over the last few years and what the 2009 Nebraska seniors experienced. This is just an observation of course, but I must admit I really hadn't thought of aTm's situation much until reading this article.

Senior day is always emotional, but considering what those on the Texas A&M football team have been through, your gut says the Aggies will beat Nebraska on Saturday night.

Somehow, someway, those seniors will get it done in their last game at Kyle Field. What they've already accomplished has been pretty special, and they are far from through with three huge games left.

The majority of them were signed by Dennis Franchione coming off a 5-6 season with the promise of better days ahead. Things did get better, much better, and quickly. A&M was 9-4 in 2006, highlighted by a smash-mouth 12-7 victory at Texas. That was what every player had signed on for. Unfortunately, things went bad in a hurry.

A&M was 7-6 in 2007, losing four of its last five. That one victory was against Texas at Kyle Field, but Franchione's departure was announced before anyone talked about the players' great accomplishment on the field that night.

A&M had only one meaningful victory in the next two seasons under new coach Mike Sherman, at Texas Tech, and it wasn't even televised. The players had a fleeting week of notoriety before being back answering the same questions. Are you glad you came to A&M? When would the program be relevant again? What is it going to take for A&M to be a contender in the Big 12 South and be ranked?

Surely, they had to wonder if they would indeed be the class that turned things around. They kept at it, providing examples for those who followed. Finally, in the last month it has all clicked with the Aggies beating Kansas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Baylor.

A&M (7-3) became bowl-eligible, cracked the Top 25, became a contender for the Big 12 South championship and assured itself of a winning season. More importantly, those seniors have to be feeling a tremendous sense of accomplishment. They didn't just survive, they made a difference. That was the goal they set for themselves when they came to A&M, no matter who the coach was.

It's a great group with unique individuals, all winners in their own way, especially the five who talked at Monday's press conference.

Jerrod Johnson, who has been replaced at starting quarterback by Ryan Tannehill, knows all about adversity.

"I just want to be remembered as the guy who gave it his all," Johnson said.

Someday, he'll make a great coach. Few could have endured what he's been through and accept that invitation to address the media one more time.

Outside linebacker Von Miller shunned the NFL draft to get his degree and help make A&M a winner. He will do both.

"I've been through a lot, with the memories and experiences," Miller said. "It's really overwhelming. It seems like yesterday I came in as a freshman."

Defensive end Lucas Patterson, who has finally come into his own, switched so much between offense and defense, you'd think he was a politician. At times it looked like the coaching staff was trying to run him off, but it turns out they just were trying their hardest to find his best spot, which they did.

"It's hard to believe I've been here five years," he said.

Center Matt Allen wasn't recruited by Franchione, opting to sign with LSU. A&M always was his first choice, so he transferred back when Sherman took over, sat out a year, and now is the offensive line's lone senior.

"It's been a long journey for me, but it's all coming together," Allen said. "I think I've made some good choices. This Saturday is why I played football."

Inside linebacker Michael Hodges, who transferred in from Air Force, has gone from unknown to folk hero, admired by the underclassmen who marvel at the work ethic that allowed him to recover from knee surgery and play at an all-conference level.

"I told them, 'You better send me out right,'" said Hodges, with a playful grin.

One guy who will have a hard time fighting back emotions whenever he turns out the lights in his office Saturday night or early Sunday morning will be Sherman. The boys he met when he arrived will be leaving as men.

"When you commit to a program, people have to buy into what you want to do and how you want to do it," he said. "Every single guy in that room has bought into everything little thing I have asked them to do. They are a special group, they have brought us this far and their leadership this year has really been instrumental. I will always remember this group as a very special group, and the leadership, unselfishness and humility and how much they love A&M. There is not a guy in that group that I don't feel strongly about."

Most non-Aggies probably don't think much of Jerrod Johnson, considering his many turnovers and inability to get the W in key games this year. But we Aggies absolutely love him. His dad played for A&M, and Jerrod grew up wanting to play at A&M too and worked his butt off to get the starting QB job. He was adamant about brining A&M back to its former glory - and he really wore that dream on his sleeve. Nobody wanted A&M to win more than Jerrod. He was supposed to have a breakout year this year, but after his shoulder surgery, he just wasn't the same. But he's taken the crappy hand of cards with nothing but absolute dignity and class. You'll see him on the sideline, cheering his teammates and giving advice to Tannehill. As he said in his interview the other day, he'd be lying if he said the situation wasn't hard, but he "came to A&M a kid and will be leaving a man." He gave us a solid foundation to rebuild our team and will leave A&M after busting several A&M QB records. I have nothing but absolute respect for him and wish him the best.

The Best Story You've Never Heard

The glaring similarity I see between '10 aTm and '09 NU is how seniors on both teams went through such ups and downs throughout their career. No doubt Sherman and Pelini are two very different coaches, but both have been able to help their respective programs rebound and become nationally relevant again. Pretty incredible feats considering the difficulties brought on by the Callahan and Francione eras.