Oklahoma State Series

@Turn2

How is Burly riding a hot bat? Second inning, inning you are referencing, he hadn't hit yet and was hitting about .250 on the season with no hitting streak. Be my guest and ask some baseball guys if they would play small ball in the bottom of second down 8-0. Won't find any...that includes me. By the way please recreate for me your idea (how you would have managed the second inning using small ball. Below is the hitters and what they did:

Kash- hbp

farmer- double kash scored

Christensen- ground ball to second Farmer to third

Sheffert- K

Cooper- walk

Burly-K

How would you use small ball? Can't wait to see your response.

Their starter 1.07 era Freeman was 1.77 going into game last night. Know your facts better before you open the pie hole.

Will check back in later to take you to baseball school some more.

1. Burl's BA has been steadily climbing and though no "hitting streak" existed his OBA% shows improvement. Also, his position in the lineup dictates for him to "swing away".

2. When the second inning started, small ball wasn't something that one would consider. However, after scoring a run, having a runner in scoring postion with no outs, getting said player to 3rd and then allowing a free swing (getting the ball in the air and deep) to drive said runner in is playing small ball and would have been done by 90% of managers. This also closes the run gap and thereby places more pressure on the starter. Anderson had the chance to score at least one more run in said inning and instead we left the runner stranded. Oh and BTW, if you're going to question my baseball knowledge, do so with a respectable question instead of one so easily defeated.

3. I think, in most instances regarding small ball when one is down by 8 runs, your comment would be correct. However, when down by now 7 and a runner on 2nd with no outs I would easily find others that would play small ball to get another run or two and thereby cutting into the score, gaining the momentum. In later innings, you're absolutely correct, in the 2nd however (especially in college ball and the fact that you have a pitching staff that is hot) you are completely wrong.

Lastly, small ball is old school? Maybe it is but it works, hence the reason so many major's are returning to the "old school" small ball game.

Couple recent Links:

Fowler working on small ball approach

Digging the small ball

and finally, directed at T2 and whoever else it was taking pop shots at my baseball knowledge a little advice. Making unintelligent assumptions at another's knowledge without knowing said individual and/or having openly spoken with said individual simply shows your arrogance and immaturity. Not to mention your inability to factually state opinion. It is however rather enjoyable to show the facts and put said person in their place.

edit: one other link, Garrido and Texas have small ball success

@Turn2

How is Burly riding a hot bat? Second inning, inning you are referencing, he hadn't hit yet and was hitting about .250 on the season with no hitting streak. Be my guest and ask some baseball guys if they would play small ball in the bottom of second down 8-0. Won't find any...that includes me. By the way please recreate for me your idea (how you would have managed the second inning using small ball. Below is the hitters and what they did:

Kash- hbp

farmer- double kash scored

Christensen- ground ball to second Farmer to third

Sheffert- K

Cooper- walk

Burly-K

How would you use small ball? Can't wait to see your response.

Their starter 1.07 era Freeman was 1.77 going into game last night. Know your facts better before you open the pie hole.

Will check back in later to take you to baseball school some more.

1. Burl's BA has been steadily climbing and though no "hitting streak" existed his OBA% shows improvement. Also, his position in the lineup dictates for him to "swing away".

2. When the second inning started, small ball wasn't something that one would consider. However, after scoring a run, having a runner in scoring postion with no outs, getting said player to 3rd and then allowing a free swing (getting the ball in the air and deep) to drive said runner in is playing small ball and would have been done by 90% of managers. This also closes the run gap and thereby places more pressure on the starter. Anderson had the chance to score at least one more run in said inning and instead we left the runner stranded. Oh and BTW, if you're going to question my baseball knowledge, do so with a respectable question instead of one so easily defeated.

3. I think, in most instances regarding small ball when one is down by 8 runs, your comment would be correct. However, when down by now 7 and a runner on 2nd with no outs I would easily find others that would play small ball to get another run or two and thereby cutting into the score, gaining the momentum. In later innings, you're absolutely correct, in the 2nd however (especially in college ball and the fact that you have a pitching staff that is hot) you are completely wrong.

Lastly, small ball is old school? Maybe it is but it works, hence the reason so many major's are returning to the "old school" small ball game.

Couple recent Links:

Fowler working on small ball approach

Digging the small ball

and finally, directed at T2 and whoever else it was taking pop shots at my baseball knowledge a little advice. Making unintelligent assumptions at another's knowledge without knowing said individual and/or having openly spoken with said individual simply shows your arrogance and immaturity. Not to mention your inability to factually state opinion. It is however rather enjoyable to show the facts and put said person in their place.

edit: one other link, Garrido and Texas have small ball success

I am not going to continue to argue whether Corey was a hot hitter or not...he wasn't. Instead I am going to focus on a comment you made in the above statement. This particular situation, Nebraska has runners at 1st and 3rd with 2 outs and the top of the order on deck. Your comment indicates that it is alright for the NINE hole batter to "swing away" because of the position they bat in the order....is this correct? That is ridiculous! If nothing else, because of where Nebraska was in their line-up, with runners on base, you want the NINE hole hitter to do everything possible to get on so that the Top of the order (presumed best hitters) could hit.

The situation you describe above is not "small ball", it is called baseball. There is not one coach in ALL of baseball that has a sign for a sac fly. By the way, ground ball anywhere other than the pitcher would have been a better option. With a 7 run lead, OSU is playing back, meaning they would concede run for an out. At least with a ground ball, the defense has to field, throw and catch (more chances for an error). Maybe we can add this sign to our offense...LOL

Couple recent Links:

://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110317&content_id=16993010&notebook_id=17000058&vkey=notebook_col&c_id=col

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2010/10/22/carson_pitching_playoffs/

Following response is for no. 3. Only type of small ball coach Anderson could have used was the squeeze play. If this had worked, the score would have been 8-2 with 2 outs, nobody on and 8 hole hitter up in the bottom of second. No thanks, I want my hitter trying to drive the run in, in this situation.

Hacker, did you read the articles that you linked? I doubt that you did. Fowler article is about a player working on his bunting for base hit skills. Yes, this would fall under the "small ball" definition but is not THE DEFINITION of "small ball" only a part of it. Other article, "Digging the small ball", means baseball (small ball in the headline = baseball), versus larger ball sports. Nothing in article about bunting, stealing, squeeze plays, etc.

HuskerHacker, really enjoying this banter back and forth with you. Hope the experience is fun and educational for you.

Turn2, you know a little about the game and think you know a heapin' helpin'. Its comical to read your posts and arguments.

1. We had a runner on 2nd with no outs. Bunt him to third and from there drive him in. (called small ball mate)

2. When to play small ball? When pitching is hot. The second article begins with how pitchers are dominating the game now and more major league hitters are working on "small ball" styles to offset it. (Hence the reason I posted the Fowler article first.)

3. You constantly read into mentioned scenarios to fit your defense. I never said runners on 1st and 3rd did I. I said, one run scored already, a runner on second and "no" outs. Your intelligence within the game is obvious, its not something I've ever questioned but you continue to try to change the facts to change the scenario.

4. If the scenario describe is not small ball but rather baseball then.... why is Anderwatson to pigheaded to get it done?

Take your blinders off and join the move.

Turn2, you know a little about the game and think you know a heapin' helpin'. Its comical to read your posts and arguments.

1. We had a runner on 2nd with no outs. Bunt him to third and from there drive him in. (called small ball mate)

2. When to play small ball? When pitching is hot. The second article begins with how pitchers are dominating the game now and more major league hitters are working on "small ball" styles to offset it. (Hence the reason I posted the Fowler article first.)

3. You constantly read into mentioned scenarios to fit your defense. I never said runners on 1st and 3rd did I. I said, one run scored already, a runner on second and "no" outs. Your intelligence within the game is obvious, its not something I've ever questioned but you continue to try to change the facts to change the scenario.

4. If the scenario describe is not small ball but rather baseball then.... why is Anderwatson to pigheaded to get it done?

Take your blinders off and join the move.

Serious question- Are you a 14 year old boy or a woman? Like a woman or a teenage boy, you have trouble admiting when you are wrong and know about as much as a woman or a boy would know about baseball.

throwing around insults only exemplifies your intelligence. I've no idea your age but if your posts of insults are any indication then I'm certain I'm old enough to be your father. Furthermore, when I'm wrong I admit it. In this instance however, I've yet to be proven as such.

You might be old enough to be my father (if your 70+) but I'm your "Daddy" on this message board.

lol, far from it. show some intellect and then maybe. so far all you've shown is arrogance with a little knowledge. Your also probably a Rome fan that wets himself at thought of being part of the Rome Show sound off or whatever it is the countries mouths call it. One things for certain, your far from civil.

lol, far from it. show some intellect and then maybe. so far all you've shown is arrogance with a little knowledge. Your also probably a Rome fan that wets himself at thought of being part of the Rome Show sound off or whatever it is the countries mouths call it. One things for certain, your far from civil.

I am glad you used the word civil. This word reminds me that, to this point, our banter hasn't crossed a line (IMO). I have enjoyed the sparring and look forward to more, but this subject, IMO, has run it's course. We have gotten (I started it) off subject and begun trash talk (playful insults and condescending remarks). I choose to leave it at that.

Below is definition of small ball per Wikipedia. I stand corrected regarding sac flys as they pertain to "small ball". I believe that there are a few comments that validate some of my arguments as well.

Good Luck HuskerHacker and have a Blessed day!

In the sport of baseball, small-ball is an informal and colloquial term for an offensive strategy in which the batting team emphasizes placing runners on base and then advancing them into position to score a run in a deliberate, methodical way. This strategy places a high value on individual runs and attempts to score them without requiring extra base hits, or sometimes without base hits at all, instead using bases on balls, stolen bases, sacrifice bunt or sacrifice fly balls, the hit-and-run play, and aggressive baserunning with such plays as the contact play. A commonly used term for a run produced playing small-ball is a "manufactured run". This style of play is more often found in National League game situations than in the American League due in large part to the absence of the designated hitter in the National League.[1][2]

Teams may incorporate a small-ball strategy for a variety of reasons, including:

They are confident that their pitching staff will allow very few runs, thus one or two runs may win the game.

The opposing pitching staff allows few hits, especially extra-base hits, and small-ball may be the best way to score runs at all.

The team lacks consistent hitters and must find a way to score runs with few base hits.

The team has several members who are very quick and are likely to steal bases, or go from first base to third base on a single.

The team is in the late innings of a close game and a single run will tie the game, break a tie, or extend a narrow lead.

Most commonly, a small-ball strategy will be employed during the course of a game, such as in case #4, above. A team could also start the game with the intention of playing small-ball, but then change from this strategy at some point during a game, depending on circumstances, such as when the opposing pitcher is struggling or has left the game, or if the team is ahead or behind by several runs.

Very well said and more so.. very impressive... Just gained an enormous amount of respect for you.

Also, as I've mentioned several times, I don't in any way doubt your knowledge of the game. Your posts indicate you are a student of the game and the game's strategies.

Thank you for the Blessings and may God's Blessing also find you.