PG Imara Ready commits to Nebraska

Still without a known oral commitment for its upcoming recruiting class, the Nebraska men's basketball team has a jump-start on 2013.

Imara "I.J." Ready, a junior-to-be point guard from Little Rock, Ark., told coach Doc Sadler on Saturday he wants to be a Husker.

Why so soon?

"They were the school that was recruiting me the hardest," said Ready, who also had an offer from Texas A&M, along with interest from Arkansas.

"I like how they play. I watched them on TV a couple of times. And I liked their facilities."

The 5-foot-10, 165-pound Ready plays for Little Rock Parkview High School, where he averaged 17 points, seven assists and five rebounds as a sophomore, according to Scout.com.

"I love to go to the hole," Ready said. "I can get to the hole and finish, or I can make plays for my teammates and make them happy. I can create my own shot off the dribble, and I can catch and shoot the three-ball.

"And I love defense. That's what I do the most."

Ready played this summer on his AAU team, the Arkansas Hawks, which went 18-2 during tournaments in Minnesota, Las Vegas and California. Ready said he averaged 25.5 points in that span.

One of his AAU teammates is 2014 center prospect Trey Thompson, who Saturday picked up his first offer, from Arkansas.

Ready made an unofficial visit to Lincoln last fall, and said he plans on making his official visit in September. NU assistant coach Wes Flanigan played the lead role in Ready's recruitment. Flanigan is the son of Parkview High coach Al Flanigan.

Ready isn't the only player in the 2013 class from Arkansas with a Nebraska offer. The Huskers have also offered junior-to-be Tyler McCullough, a 6-10, 245-pound center from Fayetteville East High School. McCullough was in Lincoln for Nebraska's camp in June.

Nebraska has five scholarships to fill for 2012, but is looking for its first commitment before the November signing period. At the top of the Huskers' list is South Sioux City point guard Mike Gesell, along with his AAU teammates Adam Woodbury, a 7-foot, 230-pound center from Sioux City, Iowa; Kale Abrahamson, a 6-7 forward from West Des Moines, Iowa; and Mading Thok, a 6-11, 200-pound center, also from Sioux City.

Other players considering Nebraska offers include Buddy Hield, a 6-3, 175-pound guard from Bel Aire, Kan.; Darion Clark, a 6-7, 230-pound forward from Conyers, Ga.; Montay Brandon, a 6-6, 195-pound guard from Wesleyan Christian Academy in High Point, N.C.; and Omaha Central graduate Deverell Biggs, a 6-foot, 175-pound guard who will play this season for Seward County Community College in Liberal, Kan

Source: http://huskerextra.com/sports/mens-basketball/article_2d188bf2-ef98-514d-8b84-0a3a6e824d4d.html

What a steal! And its over A&M and Arkansas, both great basketball programs. Nebrasketball is getting better :corndance

The Flanigan name carries a LOT of weight in Arkansas high school basketball. A lot. If Arkansas produces a player worth looking at, you have to like the Huskers' chances of at least getting some interest and a visit.

:yeah

Great starts to the 2013 recruiting class, now just gotta get rolling for 2012