Some Things On Last Nights Game

r06ue1

I try not to post when I believe it is negative so I have kept myself from posting this season on the issues I seen in the first four games because I was still hoping that the team would turn it around. After last nights debacle and everyone else now seeing what I had been seeing since the beginning of the season, I figured why not?

Taylor Martinez

The good. He can run like the wind.

The bad: He is not a quarterback. When running the option he looks like he isn't sure what to do on many plays and I'm surpised there hasn't been more fumbles when he runs it. When he goes back to pass, every time this season, I hold my breath and want to close my eyes because the majority of his passes looks like something a high school players throws up. He has been lucky this season he doesn't have 10+ interceptions (which is horrid considering how many passes he has thrown). His judgement is terrible and he always looks at his primary target which will lead to more interceptions against better secondaries this season. Perhaps he can be moved to another position?

The Offense

The good: I love the option, when Nebraska left it was when the team began its decline. I am very happy that we are running the option again.

Rex Burkhead has been great, I wish he would get the ball more often. He is a brusing runner that can deliver the kinds of hits on linebackers and secondary that make them not want to make the tackle later in the game.

The bad: The play calling has not been very good, Tim Beck is wanting to throw the ball with a QB that can't throw a good pass. I understand the importance of throwing in a pass to keep the secondary honest but when your QB sucks at throwing the ball, you kill drives with incompletions and even worse, interceptions. The option has not looked good when the Huskers have run it this season and I think that has a lot to do with the QB situation. I have been watching Georgia Tech all season and if you have seen them run the option this year, you wonder what the heck the huskers are doing in practice. Georgia Tech looks incredible on offense.

The Defense

The good: Jared Crick and Lavonte David. Lots of youth, the defense will get better.

The bad: Can't stop the run, can't stop the pass, not good in the short term.

This team can still go 11-1 (11-2 if you include the championship) but I am thinking 10-2 or 9-3 is more likely. Wisconsin is a very tough place to play in especially at night; Ohio State found that out last year and that was a very good team. They were blown out also so don't worry about the score too much. I would like to see Carnes more this season, he may be better at running the option and when asked to pass, may not be as likely to just throw up a jump ball as TM.