Open Letter from The Oakland Police Association

http://www.opoa.org/uncategorized/an-open-letter-to-the-citizens-of-oakland-from-the-oakland-police-officers%E2%80%99-association/

Snip from the letter, but real the whole thing. I don't think they are "confused" - I think they are ticked off:

As your police officers, we are confused.

On Tuesday, October 25th, we were ordered by Mayor Quan to clear out the encampments at Frank Ogawa Plaza and to keep protesters out of the Plaza. We performed the job that the Mayor’s Administration asked us to do, being fully aware that past protests in Oakland have resulted in rioting, violence and destruction of property.

Then, on Wednesday, October 26th, the Mayor allowed protesters back in – to camp out at the very place they were evacuated from the day before.

To add to the confusion, the Administration issued a memo on Friday, October 28th to all City workers in support of the “Stop Work” strike scheduled for Wednesday, giving all employees, except for police officers, permission to take the day off.

That’s hundreds of City workers encouraged to take off work to participate in the protest against “the establishment.” But aren’t the Mayor and her Administration part of the establishment they are paying City employees to protest? Is it the City’s intention to have City employees on both sides of a skirmish line?

It is all very confusing to us.

Kayvan Sabehgi in intensive care with a lacerated spleen after protests in Oakland, a week after Scott Olsen was hurt. He says police beat him with batons

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/04/occupy-oakland-second-veteran-injured

A second Iraq war veteran has suffered serious injuries after clashes between police and Occupy movement protesters in Oakland. Kayvan Sabehgi, who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, is in intensive care with a lacerated spleen. He says he was beaten by police close to the Occupy Oakland camp, but despite suffering agonising pain, did not reach hospital until 18 hours later. Sabehgi, 32, is the second Iraq war veteran to be hospitalised following involvement in Oakland protests. Another protester, Scott Olsen, suffered a fractured skull on 25 October.

On Wednesday night, police used teargas and non-lethal projectiles to drive back protesters following an attempt by the Occupy supporters to shut down the city of Oakland. Sabehgi told the Guardian from hospital he was walking alone along 14th Street in central Oakland – away from the main area of clashes – when he was injured. "There was a group of police in front of me," he told the Guardian from his hospital bed. "They told me to move, but I was like: 'Move to where?' There was nowhere to move. "Then they lined up in front of me. I was talking to one of them, saying 'Why are you doing this?' when one moved forward and hit me in my arm and legs and back with his baton. Then three or four cops tackled me and arrested me."

Sabeghi, who left the army in 2007 and now part-owns a small bar-restaurant in El Cerrito, about 10 miles north of Oakland, said he was handcuffed and placed in a police van for three hours before being taken to jail. By the time he got there he was in "unbelievable pain". He said: "My stomach was really hurting, and it got worse to the point where I couldn't stand up. "I was on my hands and knees and crawled over the cell door to call for help." A nurse was called and recommended Sabehgi take a suppository, but he said he "didn't want to take it". He was allowed to "crawl" to another cell to use the toilet, but said it was clogged. "I was vomiting and had diarrhoea," Sabehgi said. "I just lay there in pain for hours."

There had been little police presence during the day, but more than 200 officers arrived after 11pm. Some protesters had set fire to a hastily assembled barrier at the corner of 16th Street and Telegraph, in a bid to prevent access to the occupied building, but police drove demonstrators away from 16th Street using tear gas, flashbang grenades, and non-lethal rounds. Sabehgi said he had not been in the occupied building, and was walking away from the main area of trouble when he was injured. He said he had his arms folded and was "totally peaceful" before being arrested. A spokeswoman for Highland hospital confirmed Sabehgi had been admitted. Oakland police were not immediately available for comment.

Kayvan Sabehgi in intensive care with a lacerated spleen after protests in Oakland, a week after Scott Olsen was hurt. He says police beat him with batons

http://www.guardian....veteran-injured

A second Iraq war veteran has suffered serious injuries after clashes between police and Occupy movement protesters in Oakland. Kayvan Sabehgi, who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, is in intensive care with a lacerated spleen. He says he was beaten by police close to the Occupy Oakland camp, but despite suffering agonising pain, did not reach hospital until 18 hours later. Sabehgi, 32, is the second Iraq war veteran to be hospitalised following involvement in Oakland protests. Another protester, Scott Olsen, suffered a fractured skull on 25 October.

On Wednesday night, police used teargas and non-lethal projectiles to drive back protesters following an attempt by the Occupy supporters to shut down the city of Oakland. Sabehgi told the Guardian from hospital he was walking alone along 14th Street in central Oakland – away from the main area of clashes – when he was injured. "There was a group of police in front of me," he told the Guardian from his hospital bed. "They told me to move, but I was like: 'Move to where?' There was nowhere to move. "Then they lined up in front of me. I was talking to one of them, saying 'Why are you doing this?' when one moved forward and hit me in my arm and legs and back with his baton. Then three or four cops tackled me and arrested me."

Sabeghi, who left the army in 2007 and now part-owns a small bar-restaurant in El Cerrito, about 10 miles north of Oakland, said he was handcuffed and placed in a police van for three hours before being taken to jail. By the time he got there he was in "unbelievable pain". He said: "My stomach was really hurting, and it got worse to the point where I couldn't stand up. "I was on my hands and knees and crawled over the cell door to call for help." A nurse was called and recommended Sabehgi take a suppository, but he said he "didn't want to take it". He was allowed to "crawl" to another cell to use the toilet, but said it was clogged. "I was vomiting and had diarrhoea," Sabehgi said. "I just lay there in pain for hours."

There had been little police presence during the day, but more than 200 officers arrived after 11pm. Some protesters had set fire to a hastily assembled barrier at the corner of 16th Street and Telegraph, in a bid to prevent access to the occupied building, but police drove demonstrators away from 16th Street using tear gas, flashbang grenades, and non-lethal rounds. Sabehgi said he had not been in the occupied building, and was walking away from the main area of trouble when he was injured. He said he had his arms folded and was "totally peaceful" before being arrested. A spokeswoman for Highland hospital confirmed Sabehgi had been admitted. Oakland police were not immediately available for comment.

So, we should completely believe his story? Do we have evidence?

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/iraq-war-vet-11-4/nFWrJ/

Second war veteran injured, hospitalized during 'Occupy Oakland' protests

A second war veteran was hospitalized this week following a confrontation with Oakland police, who were breaking up an Occupy Okland protest. Kayvan Sabehgi had surgery at Highland Hospital Friday and was recovering from a lacerated spleen. His friends said he was injured when police arrested him early Thursday morning and a KTVU TV camera was rolling for part of that confrontation.

Sabehgi is heard saying, "I'm an Iraq war vet. I had 2 tours in Iraq, I had 2 tours in Iraq one tour in Afghanistan." That plea from the 32-year old veteran was not enough to get him out of handcuffs. Moments earlier, a KTVU TV camera caught the tail end of a takedown as several police moved in to subdue Sabehgi. In the process, his friends say he was hit with batons and suffered a lacerated spleen and other injuries. "I'm just blown away that he could come back from fighting for our country and then get treated like this by the authorities," said his friend Chet Gossett. Friends also claim that Sabehgi was denied proper medical treatment in jail until he made bail and was rushed to Highland Hospital.

A second KTVU TV camera captured Sabehgi face-to-face with riot police minutes before he was arrested. "The cop told him to move and he said, I'm not doing anything. I'm just standing here," said Gossett. Friends said Sabehgi is part owner of Elevation 66 Brewing Company in El Cerrito and was not part of the vandalism in Oakland that night. "Under no circumstances would he do that," said another friend, Richard Collins. "He's a business owner and he wouldn't harm someone else's business. He was just out there speaking his mind."

KTVU contacted Oakland's Interim Police Chief Howard Jordan and he said he has yet to see the video. Jordan said he's assigned two investigators to look into what happened and they're attempting to speak to Sabehgi as soon as possible. Former Marine Scott Olsen was injured on October 25th during the Occupy Okland protests. He suffered a fractured skull. Olsen's friends told KTVU that he is improving and even texting them. It is still not clear exactly how Olsen was injured and the incident is also the subject of investigations.

http://www.ktvu.com/...vet-11-4/nFWrJ/

Second war veteran injured, hospitalized during 'Occupy Oakland' protests

A second war veteran was hospitalized this week following a confrontation with Oakland police, who were breaking up an Occupy Okland protest. Kayvan Sabehgi had surgery at Highland Hospital Friday and was recovering from a lacerated spleen. His friends said he was injured when police arrested him early Thursday morning and a KTVU TV camera was rolling for part of that confrontation.

Sabehgi is heard saying, "I'm an Iraq war vet. I had 2 tours in Iraq, I had 2 tours in Iraq one tour in Afghanistan." That plea from the 32-year old veteran was not enough to get him out of handcuffs. Moments earlier, a KTVU TV camera caught the tail end of a takedown as several police moved in to subdue Sabehgi. In the process, his friends say he was hit with batons and suffered a lacerated spleen and other injuries. "I'm just blown away that he could come back from fighting for our country and then get treated like this by the authorities," said his friend Chet Gossett. Friends also claim that Sabehgi was denied proper medical treatment in jail until he made bail and was rushed to Highland Hospital.

A second KTVU TV camera captured Sabehgi face-to-face with riot police minutes before he was arrested. "The cop told him to move and he said, I'm not doing anything. I'm just standing here," said Gossett. Friends said Sabehgi is part owner of Elevation 66 Brewing Company in El Cerrito and was not part of the vandalism in Oakland that night. "Under no circumstances would he do that," said another friend, Richard Collins. "He's a business owner and he wouldn't harm someone else's business. He was just out there speaking his mind."

KTVU contacted Oakland's Interim Police Chief Howard Jordan and he said he has yet to see the video. Jordan said he's assigned two investigators to look into what happened and they're attempting to speak to Sabehgi as soon as possible. Former Marine Scott Olsen was injured on October 25th during the Occupy Okland protests. He suffered a fractured skull. Olsen's friends told KTVU that he is improving and even texting them. It is still not clear exactly how Olsen was injured and the incident is also the subject of investigations.

It's interesting that none of the stories you link to have details about what preceded his arrest. Why is that?

It's interesting that none of the stories you link to have details about what preceded his arrest. Why is that?
Perhaps that is because the story is new and all the background has not come out yet.

Exactly right, so maybe all of us should avoid jumping to conclusions.

OK, but can we discuss it on a message board?

Perhaps that is because the story is new and all the background has not come out yet.

Exactly right, so maybe all of us should avoid jumping to conclusions.

OK, but can we discuss it on a message board?

We just did.

I find it interesting that these anarchists, Marxists, and insane and/or homeless people have suddenly developed a great love and deep respect for the US military - particularly US Marine veterans. I'm not sure why an injury to war veteran is more tragic than one involving a trust-fund 20-something, But that's just me. I suspect that these same protesters wouldn't urinate on an active duty Marine if he were on fire.

Now, having said that, I am also trying to figure out why anyone is surprised that the Oakland PD used tear gas against what they saw as a dangerous crowd. When you decide to get involved in a riot, bad things can happen on either side of the skirmish line. As Poor Richard said, "When you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas." Or a cracked skull.

I find it interesting that these anarchists, Marxists, and insane and/or homeless people have suddenly developed a great love and deep respect for the US military - particularly US Marine veterans. I'm not sure why an injury to war veteran is more tragic than one involving a trust-fund 20-something, But that's just me. I suspect that these same protesters wouldn't urinate on an active duty Marine if he were on fire.

The left has always supported the troops better than the right.

The neocons sent them into war at times with insufficient equipment to die for oil profits, then cut their benefits when they came home.

And yeah... let's start a civil discussion by implying that OWS demonstrators are "anarchists, Marxists, and insane and/or homeless people".

Now, having said that, I am also trying to figure out why anyone is surprised that the Oakland PD used tear gas against what they saw as a dangerous crowd. When you decide to get involved in a riot, bad things can happen on either side of the skirmish line. As Poor Richard said, "When you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas." Or a cracked skull.

Does this site have a bozo filter (ignore feature)?

The neocons sent them into war at times with insufficient equipment to die for oil profits, then cut their benefits when they came home.

And yeah... let's start a civil discussion by implying that OWS demonstrators are "anarchists, Marxists, and insane and/or homeless people".

Going well for you here?

Man, it didn't take you long to start calling me names.

I support the troops (heck I was one) and I'm not a leftist.

I'm not implying that OWS demonstrators are "anarchists, Marxists, and insane and/or homeless people." I am stating it as fact. Some of them are also rapists, crack dealers, and thieves.