Ben Nelson Done.

HSKR

Karl Rove's American Crossroads super PAC is already flooding the airwaves with attack ads on Kerry. It's pretty pathetic that more money will be spent trying to persuade him not to run than were spent on entire senate campaigns in the not so distant past. Thank you citizen's united...

My wife is not a US citizen, she is a permanent resident. She pays taxes, knows more US history and government than most Americans, and would shame most english teachers with her knowledge of the language.

I'm just curious, and if this is personal I apoligize but why is she not interested in becomeing a citizens of the coutry in which she now resides? To be clear, I'm certainly not implying anything, just kind of intrigued.

She has always had interest in becoming a US citizen, but was concerned about losing her EU citizenship. We have family and own property over there, and losing citizenship would make many things more difficult. We have spoken to lawyers and other people in similar situations, and are now convinced that she can legally maintain a dual citizenship. Her goal is to become a citizen in time to vote in the 2012 election.

Carl, you are far to educated for me to indulge myself in a primer on simple federalism. Surely you understand the relationship between state and federal government as intended by those who wrote the constitution. Of others not so informed I would clearify (in breif) that indeed the state of Nebraska and the state of Florida where intended to have equal power. The Senate (directly apppointed at the time) and the electoral college were structured such as to ensure relative equally of power between states regardless of population. Make no mistake, this is not a direct democracy and it was never intended to be one.

Your fixation continues. I'm flattered.

You are obviously well informed about the structure of our government. I assume that you know basic counting as well. As you point out, each state has 2 Senators regardless of population. Now, I'm still trying to figure out why you wouldn't mention how representatives in the House of Representatives are allocated. I can't imagine why that would be. I would certainly appreciate an explanation.

Shall we test your theory? You say that the electoral college is structured to "ensure relative equally [sic] of power between states regardless of population." Why then does California have 55 electors while South Dakota have 3? Are you arguing that 55 is relatively equal to 3?

I clearly don't have your life experiences and wisdom so I hope that you can enlighten me.

Perhaps something like this:

1. Founding Fathers!

2. Federalism!

3. ?????????

4. 55 = 3

• 4 weeks later...