Auditor general says charter school violated state law

Our school system is flawed because we are afraid to fail. to fail students. We have this dream that everyone should pass everything no matter what. In the long run it hurts a lot of students.

It's also flawed because we are afraid to fire teachers. We need a merit based pay system at the very least.

We also need to have it like college to where the student rises to meet the challenge of the school work. If you fail it's because the course was too hard(which is ok) or you are too lazy to do the work. Teachers are also less of a problem than students. You can replace a student but not always replace the teacher.

I absolutely agree that student work ethic is a huge part of the problem. That said, I've seen first hand how difficult it is to fire a grossly underperforming teacher at the high school level.

As a former lazy student, I can definitely relate to this. I was an awful student - right up until I flunked out of college and started flipping burgers for a living. It doesn't take too much time in a sh#t job before you realize that being a good student is a hell of a lot smarter than being a lazy ditch-digger. Went back to school and miraculously got better, and just missed graduating with honors by 0.01 of a point.

Me too. I was halfway through college before I actually had a demanding professor. Prof. Gorman's Ancient Greece and Rome and Prof. Ford's The American Short Story. They demanded a lot of effort . . . I gave a lot of effort . . . and those were some of the most interesting and memorable courses that I can remember.