Sipple: Intense Bolt helps NU hitters make some noise

Nexus

Will Bolt is good at getting his point across.

So say Nebraska's hitting statistics.

Bolt, the Huskers' associate head baseball coach, is not exactly a wallflower in the dugout, especially if hitters are flailing away. He plays a lead role — and sometimes a loud one — in directing the offense.

"Sometimes he'll get us going by screaming," NU junior infielder Josh Scheffert said. "Sometimes he'll pull us together and try to see what our thoughts are, and what we need to change and adjust to in order to hit certain pitches.

"If he sees we're not playing to the best of our ability, he's not shy about it. He'll let you know."

Bolt is getting positive results. Nebraska (25-13, 7-5 in Big Ten) is hitting .317 as a team, good for second in the Big Ten and up 47 points from last season. The Huskers lead the league in home runs (33), RBIs (264), slugging percentage (.458), on-base percentage (.396), runs (293), hits (423) and total bases (611).

Bolt's philosophy: Be aggressive at the plate and on the basepaths. Do the little things — bunt for hits, try to read balls in the dirt.

Operate with confidence.

Continue Reading

read that article this morning and posted the link in the Purdue series thread.... Gotta love how Bolt is getting the most out of his players. Also the love they show him, Erstad and Silva which was so apparent in the 1620 the zone interview this morning. Pritch was on with Schick and Nick.... spoke about the difference in philosophies between the MA era and this staff. How Erstad and company expects wins and conditions the players to expect the same.

@HuskerHacker, sorry I missed the post in the Purdue thread. Regardless, this story is worth its own thread. With all the growing pains that I fully expected to see in Erstad's first campaign as Skipper, there have been some positive things happening this season. Beating a dead horse here because I've said it in several threads throughout this season, but it really is about reprogramming these guys mentally. And this staff has proven that overhauling the mental process is a work in progress as we speak. I can't stress this enough, but that's a major hurdle for this team that will benefit them in the future.

There is still much work to be done in other areas, but overall I'm happy with what I've seen so far and anxious for what's to come in the future once Erstad gets his own players into the system. Right now he's making do with what he inherited and that's no easy feat for a 1st year head coach, but considering the circumstances (new league, 1st yr. HC, new philosophy) he shows great promise as a Skipper. We just have to exercise a little patience in the meantime, but the direction we're headed in is exciting from where I'm standing.

Speaking of Bolt, he looks like he could be Dave Van Horn's son.

4f8f9aae1ea5a.preview-300.jpg909676.jpg