Fun on the grill. This is not for your kids though, everyone has a different definition of "hot", I find this a great balance of heat, not to bad at first but really builds up as you go. Also has a great balance of sweet-heat, and sweet-salty. It calls for a tiny amount of Maggi seasoning, I can't justify buying something I will use 6-7 times a year, and only a small amount, so a good stand in is 1/2 Worchester-1/2 Soy Sauce. Some notes at the end as well.

ingredients

• 1 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
  • 1 medium red onion, chopped
  • 12 garlic cloves
  • 10 Scotch bonnet or 15 small habanero chiles, stemmed, seeded
  • 8 scallions (white and pale-green parts only), chopped
  • 1 3-inch piece peeled ginger, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons whole allspice
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon powdered adobo seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon Maggi Liquid Seasoning

•  
    Ingredient Info:

Scotch bonnet and habanero chiles are available at some supermarkets and at Latin markets. Look for powdered adobo seasoning at Latin markets.

Preparation

•  
    Pierce chicken all over with tip of a small knife; transfer to a large bowl. Purée remaining ingredients and 1/4 cup water in a blender until smooth. Reserve 1 cup for dipping sauce, if desired. Pour remaining marinade over chicken; massage into chicken. (To protect your hands from the chiles' heat, wear latex gloves.) Cover; chill for at least 1 day and up to 2 days.

•  
    Let chicken sit at room temperature for 1 hour before cooking. Build a medium-low fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium. Place chicken on grill, skin side up. Cook covered, turning often, until skin is crisp and lightly charred and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest parts of chicken registers 160° (breasts) or 165° (thighs), 30–45 minutes. Transfer to a platter and tent loosely with foil; let stand for 10 minutes. Serve with reserved dipping sauce, if desired.

Some of my notes. WEAR GLOVES! Not only while you are handling the peppers and working the marinade into the chicken, but also if you choose to handle the chicken as it goes on the grill, those peppers will bite. I think this has to be done over a charcoal fire, natural lump charcoal if you have it, the smoke the lump makes when the lid is on provides the perfect kiss of smoke.

Also, save yourself a couple of bucks (or afford a better chicken), buy a whole chicken and break it down into the eight pieces yourself. Alton brown has a good video, that ends up with boneless breasts, he tosses the wings (freeze to make stock with the carcass, but that's another show

;) ), for this I still use the wings. The fun starts around 3:45...