Backups: When to Play Them and How Much?

Bowfin

IF the game situation allows backups a chance to play, I think it is in a team's best interest to focus on doing this as much as possible.

• Texas QB David Ash was hurt in a meaningless fourth quarter drive when the game had been decided by half time. Fortunately for him, it looked worse than it was.

• Backup Michigan QB last night wasn't ready to play. He may never recover from that experience.

• Nebraska will lose eight seniors on defense next year, according to the announcers.

• Every green player will make the same mistakes and incur the same dumb penalties as did their predecessors and the predecessors' predecessors did before them. It's best they do that in mop up duty rather than a make or break situation in a gane still being decided.

I would like to see the coaching staff play our backup QB a little more often after the game is won or lost. We do put in a lot of wide receivers, which is good. We play almost anybody who can get on the field in the offensive and defensive line that can hobble out on the field, so I don't mean them. Mostly, I would like to see our second and third string quarterbacks at least get on the field and hand off the closing part of any of the games where we are ahead by more than eight points...or behind a bunch, as in the Ohio State game.

• Fire 1