Aging Constituency vs. Ideology

Thoughtful post by Ezra Klein.

In the meantime, to make their numbers work in the face of changing demographics and rising health-care costs, they need to make genuinely draconian cuts to the programs that people who aren’t seniors rely on. That makes them even less popular party among the under-65 set, further exacerbating the fundamental tension of the modern GOP: That their core agenda is to turn back the spending patterns driven by the aging of the population, but their core constituency is the part of the population that’s aging and relies most on those programs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/02/28/how-the-aging-of-america-is-hurting-the-republican-party/

I always enjoy his blog. Interesting topic, for sure.

I think we're seeing a number of people learning that you argue with Ezra Klein at your own peril. That obscure study that you falsely claim supports your point? Klein has not only read it . . . but he has memorized it and can fact check you in real time.

I always enjoy his blog. Interesting topic, for sure.

I think we're seeing a number of people learning that you argue with Ezra Klein at your own peril. That obscure study that you falsely claim supports your point? Klein has not only read it . . . but he has memorized it and can fact check you in real time.

HA! That is very true. He seems like a really smart guy. He's methodical and logical in his work, which is a great combination.

He's right about the Republican constituency, but the funniest part of the blog is that everyone fancies Paul Ryan as some sort of policy wonk... yet he can't remember the specifics of his own policy.