Michigan's stationary QB...

Michigan's stationary QB appeals to Husker defenders

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 - 12:04:30 am CST

Nebraska defensive end Adam Carriker hasn’t delved fully into Michigan videotape.

After all, the Alamo Bowl remains two weeks away.

Carriker, however, has an idea of what Nebraska will encounter Dec. 28 in San Antonio.

“When I think of Michigan, I think of big, tough, rugged football players,” said the 6-foot-6, 280-pound junior. “Their offensive line has really big and physical guys. And they’re all juniors and fifth-year seniors.”

A closer look at Michigan’s offensive line reveals a unit plagued by injury. Two starters — right tackle Jake Long and left guard Leo Henige — suffered injuries that required season-ending surgery following the Wolverines’ 25-21 loss to Ohio State to end the regular season.

The play of Michigan’s offensive line could be crucial against a Nebraska defense that has produced 47 sacks this season, tying for the third-most in school history. Carriker, an All-Big 12 choice by the media, led the way with 91/2 sacks. The Huskers nearly doubled their total of 25 last season, making good use of improved depth along the line, Carriker said.

Michigan (7-4) has allowed 20 sacks on the season. Quarterback Chad Henne, a 6-foot-2, 226-pound sophomore, boasts a strong arm but isn’t known for his scrambling ability. He’s completed 59.6 percent of his passes for 2,256 yards and 20 touchdowns, with only seven interceptions. He’s regarded as a good decision-maker.

“I’d rather face a nonscrambling quarterback,” Carriker said. “He’s typically going to be a good passer, but as a pass-rusher, I don’t have to worry about containing him as much.”

Against stationary quarterbacks like Henne, defensive linemen can take more chances to get to the passer — chances they often can’t take against running quarterbacks.

“If you’re facing someone like Brad Smith (of Missouri), you have to stay outside of the tackle,” Carriker said. “If you’re facing someone who’s not quite like Brad Smith, you can gamble and go underneath and leave the outside open a little — gambling that he’s not going to get around you.”

Said Husker defensive tackle Titus Adams, “You still have to do your job and contain and make sure you stay in your gap. But there’s also some more freelancing you can do.”

After averaging 5.4 sacks through the first seven games, Nebraska’s production dipped to 2.25 over the last four contests as teams adjusted to the Huskers’ pressure by using methods such as three-step drops, slant and quick-out routes, and screen plays.

“We were getting there, but (quarterbacks) were getting rid of the ball,” Carriker said. “There was nothing we could do. The sack amount dropped off, but I think it’s because other teams worried about it and concentrated on it throughout the year.”

“Division I coaches are smart,” Adams said. “They’re going to watch film and pick up things. But I think we did a good job all the way through the season of preparing and rushing the quarterback.”

Nebraska broke loose for five sacks in its season-ending win against Colorado.

Now, after capturing its final two regular season games, including a 30-3 triumph in Boulder, Nebraska takes into the bowl game a 7-4 record and a level of enthusiasm that’s “very good,” Carriker said. He said he still gets a jolt of energy when he thinks back to a Husker fan poll on a television show in early November that showed many people didn’t think NU would even qualify for a bowl game.

“I was quite surprised by the poll,” Carriker said. “We surprised a lot of people when we beat Colorado the way we beat them. We earned a fairly good bowl game. You know, it’s not a BCS bowl game. But it’s a fairly good bowl against a very good opponent. So we’re very excited.”

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.