"More appriciative of Wins"

HuskersGJ

I thought this was interesting:

http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto-story...z1_spor_03.html

It was exactly five years ago today that I came to this conclusion. It was my senior year at NU [Northwester], and I was in San Antonio covering the Alamo Bowl for The Daily Northwestern. The Big Ten champion Wildcats (man, I just love typing that) had just been shellacked by Eric Crouch and Nebraska (nope, don’t love typing that) 66-17 in one of the most lopsided bowl games of all time.

But as we walked out of the Alamodome that night, we weren’t commiserating. We were commemorating. We were reflecting on the most fun season we’d ever have as fans. We made it to a bowl — only the fourth in our school’s history. We had an awesome run, winning eight games, including three of the most exciting last-minute victories you could imagine. It was a phenomenal season — one I’ll still talk about when I’m 80.

Meanwhile, the victorious Nebraska fans were miserable. They were actually offended to be in such a piddling bowl against such a piddling opponent. A 9-3 record? A bowl game on Dec. 30? Terrible!

I pity them. See, when wins are harder to come by, they’re far more appreciated. Each game actually means something.

a couple things came to mind. 1, i agree that wins are generally more appriciated when they aren't as automatic as they were in the, say, the mid-90s.

but I couldn't help but see a parrallel to this year's Alamo. Obviously Michigan was also "offended to be in such a piddling bowl against such a piddling opponent". the difference between Nebraska came out and backed it up. meanwhile Michigan can only whine about losing.

to be fair, i think Nebraska was much better this year around bowl time than NW was that year.

Makes you think doesn't it. Would this victory have felt so good if we had the recent past??

I think it might have just because it being Michigan would have salvaged any "disapointment". who knows.

Oregon BTW, is another example of what bitching about and then not showing up for a bowl game will do for you.