U.S. drops espionage charges against Temple University professor

This was from a month ago, but it's mildly topical.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/12/us/politics/us-drops-charges-that-professor-shared-technology-with-china.html

Dr. Xi, who came to the United States in 1989 and is a naturalized citizen, was adamant that he was innocent. But it was only when he and his lawyers reviewed the government’s evidence that they understood what had happened. “When I read it, I knew that they were mixing things up,” Dr. Xi said.

His lawyers contacted independent scientists and showed them the diagram that the Justice Department said was the pocket heater. The scientists agreed it was not.

In a sworn affidavit, one engineer, Ward S. Ruby, said he was uniquely qualified to identify a pocket heater. “I am very familiar with this device, as I was one of the co-inventors,” he said.

Your classic case of "Oops, we misread the blueprints. Sorry for storming your house, arresting you in front of your family, and derailing your career."

A more recent (Oct 21) New Yorker article which covers a lot of interesting history: The Two Asian Americas

For example:

the Supreme Court ruled that South Asians, because they were not white, could not become naturalized citizens of the United States.

I'm glad we managed to move past that one without a Constitutional amendment.